1752777 Members
6266 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

using LLDP on procurve 9450A

topjetboy
Occasional Visitor

using LLDP on procurve 9450A

Procurve 9450A installed on a small business net last week. 7 Windows 7 pcs, 2 macs, 1 hp printer (2100DTN).

Although the switch functions well, I am trying to make a map of which devices are connected to which ports on the procurve. The mac table lists mac addresses and IPs but I would like to know which devices are plugged in to which ports on the procurve.

Using IE9, Looking at LLDP-> Remote on the procurve's web interface does not show anything (except the column labels), no devices appear. Coincidentally, the full network map on the windows network and sharing center control panel is also blank-nothing shows up.

I did enable LLDP in group policy editor on the windows pc I am using to manage the procurve. I also turned off Priority and VLAN in the network adapter of the pc. The NIC of the pc is a realtek. At this point, the the full network map button on the windows network and sharing center control panel now shows this: PC->gateway->internet. The procurve is still blank on the LLDP-> remote page.

The little green lights on the procurve simulator on the web interface to the procurve are lit up properly so I know the procurve can tell me which ports are in use. However, I would like to know which devices (either mac address or IP address) is mapped to each port.

The same results are obtained when using either v2.2 or v1.2 firmware on the procurve. The same results are obtained when accessing the procurve from a pc with an intel NIC. 

I read the wiki on LLDP but it is theoretical and of course Google did its regular thing of drowning me in irrelevant, unhelpful references. Does anyone here know a solution to this problem or at least a direction?

6 REPLIES 6
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: using LLDP on procurve 9450A

There probably isn't anything on your network other than the Procurve that supports LLDP (I'm guessing you turned on LLTD on the PC which is similar but not compatible).

Generally, where LLDP isn't available, you have to get MAC->Port from the forwarding table, and IP->MAC from the ARP table.

topjetboy
Occasional Visitor

Thank you Richard for your clear, concise, confident reply. I spent several days with HP support and it was like tracking a gull in the fog- I got nowhere-even though they were very nice. Yes, I did enable LLTD in the group policy editor, I did use IE9 on windows 7, I did have an intel NIC, but still no dice. I tried an snmp app to read the procurve and although I found it, I didnt really know how to dig the info out. How do I get the forwarding table out of the procurve? tnx.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

You mean the HP 1810-24G Switch (J9450A)?

This is an example of LLDP working (from a ProCurve 1800 switch)

1800 LLDP neighbor.jpg

I don't think there is a way to get MAC address info or similar from the WEB GUI.

You may want to look at the HP network management tools PCM+ or IMC - they can map devices and connections for you. There are also plenty of alternative FOSS options on the web too. "TheDude" by MikroTic is something I have used in teh past.

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Something like: snmptable  -mALL ip-address -v1  dot1dtpFdb

dot1dTpFdbAddress dot1dTpFdbPort dot1dTpFdbStatus
 "00 00 77 37 F3 68 "             45          learned
 "00 00 77 3A 64 A0 "             45          learned

topjetboy
Occasional Visitor

thank you all for your help. I spoke with HP. Apparently, Only HP devices speak LLDP to each other. So I am SOL on this...it means walking to the switch closet.  Since I am pretty new at this could some explain what the previous post means...

Something like: snmptable  -mALL ip-address -v1  dot1dtpFdb

dot1dTpFdbAddress dot1dTpFdbPort dot1dTpFdbStatus
 "00 00 77 37 F3 68 "             45          learned
 "00 00 77 3A 64 A0 "             45          learned

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

To clarify, LLDP is an open standard, used by most vendors, not just HP. Many network devices use it (eg switches, phones, APs, etc). Most non-network devices (eg PCs, printers, servers) do not use LLDP.