Automated Backup
1752648 Members
5510 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Autoloader 1/9 Unrecognized on Windows 2003 Server

John_679

Autoloader 1/9 Unrecognized on Windows 2003 Server

I'm using an Adaptec AIC 7880 Ultra PCI SCSI Controller and can't get Windows or HP Storageworks to recognize the autoloader. The SCSI card doesn't see the device. I've changed the SCSI ID for the autoloader controller and device but to no avail. I also have a RAID 5 controller installed which works fine. Any ideas? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
CA713937
Honored Contributor

When you say "AIC 7880", are you referring to an adaptec chipset embedded on your motherboard?

Do you have the proper drivers installed for the chipset?

When you say your RAID 5 contoller works fine, are you saying it works fine with the 1/9 autoloader?

The AIC 7880 chipset is Ultra wide single ended SCSI. Is your 1/9 autoloader LVDS or HVDS?

Only an LVDS device will work on a SE host adapter, and it will require an SE, or LVDS/SE auto-sensing terminator on the autoloader.

The perferred HBA for an LVDS autoloader would be an LVDS HBA such as an adaptec 2940U2W, or 29160.
The journey IS the reward.
John_679

The AIC 7880 is a PCI card installed in an HP LH6000 Netserver. The onboard RAID adapters are recognized by the Storageworks tools program, as is the AIC 7880 card, but it doesn't see the Autoloader. The Add/Remove program doesn't pick up the Autoloader either. I inherited the autoloader and am trying to get it to work with the server. I wasn't sure the Adaptec adapter was compatible with the Autoloader but after looking at the specs for the device, it seems as it is. The Autoloader specs say that it is LVDS/HVDS compatible. The SCSI host adapter ID for the Adaptec is set to 7, there is an internal DDS3 tape set at ID 2. I reset the autoloader controller to 0 and the drive for 5. An LVD type terminator is on the autoloader.
When I boot the system, the Adaptec BIOS isn't assigning IDs to the Autoloader. It shows the Host adapter as 7 and the C1537A DDS3 as 2 but that's all.
Thanks for your help. John
CA713937
Honored Contributor

> The AIC 7880 is a PCI card installed in an HP LH6000 Netserver.

The AIC 7880 is not a PCI card - it's a chip set. If you have an adaptec card, it should be something like a 2940UW. Which card is it?

> with the Autoloader but after looking at the specs for the device, it seems as it is. The Autoloader specs say that it is LVDS/HVDS compatible.

The autoloader is EITHER LVDS or HVDS, but not both (they are incompatable interfaces). On the autoloader controller card, and on the drive it will say which SCSI type it is (HVDS or LVDS).

If it is HVDS, then you will need an HVDS controller card (e.g. Adaptec 2944UW).

> The SCSI host adapter ID for the Adaptec is set to 7, there is an internal DDS3 tape set at ID 2. I reset the autoloader controller to 0 and the drive for 5.

That's fine - the IDs need to be unique.

> An LVD type terminator is on the autoloader.

I believe your interface is SE (Ultra), which is NOT LVD. The DDS3 drives are SE SCSI.

To use a LVDS device on an SE interface, you need a SE terminator, or LVDS/SE auto-sensing terminator.

> When I boot the system, the Adaptec BIOS isn't assigning IDs to the Autoloader. It shows the Host adapter as 7 and the C1537A DDS3 as 2 but that's all.

The HBA doesn't assign IDs - it just discovers the IDs of the devices on the bus.
John_679

The Autoloader is an LVDS with a LVD/SE terminator. I did notice on the terminator that it had Orange LED=SE and Green LED=LVD printed on it. The green LED is lit when the SCSI cable is connected to the Adaptec card.
I can tell which model number the Adaptec card is without shutting down the server and pulling the card out. Adaptecs website shows a AIC-7880 card that is a Fast/Ultra adapter with a description of Single-chip PCI-to-Ultra Wide SCSI.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

The Autoloader is an LVDS with a LVD/SE terminator. I did notice on the terminator that it had Orange LED=SE and Green LED=LVD printed on it. The green LED is lit when the SCSI cable is connected to the Adaptec card.

The LED should be RED when connected to an SE HBA.

> I can tell which model number the Adaptec card is without shutting down the server and pulling the card out. Adaptecs website shows a AIC-7880 card that is a Fast/Ultra adapter with a description of Single-chip PCI-to-Ultra Wide SCSI.

On the back of the card, along side the connector should be a symbol and message stating the SCSI bus type. If it's a 2940UW (SE) card it will say "SCSI SE". If it is LVDS, it will say "SCSI LVD/SE".