Automated Backup
1753670 Members
5505 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Autoloader 1/8 w/Backup Exec

CA1091373

HP Autoloader 1/8 w/Backup Exec

I am new to the autloader forum. I have an HP Autloader and want to know how to configure it in Backup Exec so I can get a good tape rotation going..
Right now it looks like its just picking and choosing which tape to use, it's not sequential.
Suggestions????
Thanks.
Connie
4 REPLIES 4
CA1091619

Re: HP Autoloader 1/8 w/Backup Exec

You basically need to configure it all within Backup Exec. I have the same Autoloader and software and it works great. I backup 6 servers using that setup. What I do is use slot 1&2 for a full backup on Monday and then use slot 3 for Tuesday and slot 4 for Wednesday so on.
Right now I'm trying to configure the IDR and I'm trying to figure out if the drive will a support bootable tape.
CA1091373

Clint,

That's basically my idea but I guess my question is how do you get it to do that. And also since there are only 5 days in the week and 8 drives how do you keep it consecutive. I don't know if this makes sense or not.
For example-Monday=Tape1, Tuesday=Tape2, etc, then Friday=Tape5, nextMonday=Tape 6...
I read something somewhere that I may have to set up different slots and somehow assign them a day???
Thanks.
Connie.
CA1091619

I think this will help you understand.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262055.htm
I will explain it alot better than I can.
CA1091373

Clint,

Thanks for the quick response. I will try this and see if this works...
Just to make sure I understand though, am I correct in thinking that if I just set up one robot library with one partition that it will pull the oldest media first??? So therefore my backups would be semi sequential???
Thanks again.

Connie