108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Autoloader 1/9 Firmware Update

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA844060
Occasional Advisor

HP Autoloader 1/9 Firmware Update

After updating the fimware, I still have a solid amber light indicating I need to upgrade the library firmware. I have HP Library and Tape Tools 2.9 installed and have downloaded all firmware files via the web. Any help on resolving this issue would be most helpful.

Thanks in Advance
13 REPLIES 13
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Shouldn't be too hard to resolve.

What version of firmware were you on, and where were you going to?

Did L&TT say the update completed successfully?

You mention the amber light is on. What does the autoloader say in the front panel? Does the center button show a 'half full' symbol for partial availabilty? If so, what messages does it say under partial availability?

I have one possible guess that you have a remote management (web) card, and the card did not update it's firmware. Let me know what you find from the above questions first.
The journey IS the reward.
CA844060
Occasional Advisor

On the Library Firmaware I went from Version 2200 to 2400.
The Drive version I think was 053 and we went to 059.
The L&TT did say it Completed Successfully.

The Icon in the middle indicates 1/2, and says
Upgrade Library Firmware

CA844060
Occasional Advisor

I've gave you all the info and I'm still waiting on a response.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Doug, sorry for the delay - I was travelling last week.

You didn't state whether your unit has an RMC (web-interface) card or not. If so, I suspect that is the cause of the problem. If you pull out the RMC card (temporarily), the unit will most likely power-up.

The cause of the problem may be a bug in earlier firmware (<2.30). It would use the wrong wait-state timing during power-up, and that would cause problems in accessing the flash ram.

Although the firmware update was reported as successful, the RMC was not able to update to the new image, because of the timing issue.

One possible solution would be to turn the unit off (with the RMC card installed), and let it cool down. You could even cool it down to 50F if you want. Then turn it on, and attempt a firmware update as soon as it's ready. The cooler tempurature will speed up the flash ram. If you can get to 2.30 or later firmware, it will then use the right wait-state timing the next time it powers up, and the problem will go away.

If this solution does not work, you will need a different RMC board go to get to a different firmware rev. You could also back-date to the original revision and the error will no longer be reported (but I suggest running with newest firmware).
CA844060
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response. Sorry to sound snippy.
Yes We do have an RMC. I pulled the card out and rebooted the drive. (was I supposed to turn the power off first) just kidding. anyway I pulled the card started the drive and I am still getting the same solid amber light and Firmware needs updated message.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

OK, I'll give you a quicker reply on this one :-)

Did you retry the firmware update with the card out?

The library has separate firmware images for the controller card, the RMC card, and the picker. The drive itself is separate. When the autoloader says it needs a fimware update, it means that the library controller, picker, or RMC do not have revisions that are compatable.

One known issue is going from early firmware (2.06) to 2.30 or greater. You must first update to 2.26. You mentioned 2.20 firmware. We never had a 2.20 release for DLT drives. We had a 2.22 release for LTO drives. If the autoloader had code less the 2.26, then you should update to 2.26 firmware first, and then to 2.40 or 2.41.

Could you could run L&TT, click on support, and generate a support ticket?

Email that to ltt_team@hp.com, and it will give us all the specifics that could help solve this.

I can also email you a password back so you can do firmware downgrades.
CA844060
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the quick response.

I have sent a support ticket to the LTT_Team.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

To have 2.40 autoloader firmware you should have the following:

* picker p.16
* AC controller c190
* RMC card 3.25

(these are listed in the support ticket under the component inventory)

Your unit has the right picker and AC controller firmware levels, but your RMC is at 2.14.

For the RMC code to update from 2.xx to 3.xx (RMC code numbers), it needs to go through bridge firmware. That is the autoloader firmware 2.26. The other possibility is the flash timing problem I mentioned earlier. If you can't get the autoloader to update to 2.30 or later, then try cooling the unit down.

I'll send you a password to enable firmware downgrading. Try going to 2.26 firmware, and then back to 2.40.
CA713937
Honored Contributor
Solution

Just a quick update:

> (these are listed in the support ticket under the component inventory)

These are only listed with the 'factory only' password, so you won't be able to see them. They're confusing any, so it's probably a good thing.

I downgraded a unit to 2.06 firmware, and verified the RMC code level is 2.14. Thus, your RMC hasn't updated firmware.

Let me know if you can update to 2.26 (the "bridge" firmware), and then 2.40.