7320 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Hard errors after cleaning drive in HP 1/8 G2 Ultrium 920 SAS Autoloader

dkam
Visitor

Hard errors after cleaning drive in HP 1/8 G2 Ultrium 920 SAS Autoloader

Hello

We have HP 1/8 G2 Ultrium 920 SAS Autoloader.

It worked seamlessly for some time (~2 years, from 2008), after that backups started to take some extra space on the tapes, for example 380GB backup that should fit on single LTO-3 tape (with 1:1 effective compression - worst case) takes two tapes. Tapes was changed about year ago, which not helped. I've figured out that it's overhead because of corrected write errors. So we used brand new original cleaning tape by HP. After that we're getting errors with few tapes, like:

• Error 4074: TapeAlert - Warning - Hard Error
  • Error 4075: TapeAlert - Critical - Media
  • Error 4077: TapeAlert - Critical - Write Failure

HP service would change drive for ~$1600 (used drive, 3 months warranty, they want old one back). But we're not sure it's drive fault (HP haven't asked for any logs or LTT tests results, diagnosed by one telephone call).

My question is:

Is this a tape problem or drive malfunction? Is there any chance that new tapes will break with this drive?

2 REPLIES 2
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Hard errors after cleaning drive in HP 1/8 G2 Ultrium 920 SAS Autoloader

Hello, would you be able to post some LTT reports & support ticket here?

That way somebody could have a peak through it and see if they can pinpoint the issue to the tape drive.

Sometimes you need to run the cleaning tape several times.
dkam
Visitor

Re: Hard errors after cleaning drive in HP 1/8 G2 Ultrium 920 SAS Autoloader

Thanks for fast response

Unfortunately i'm not able to post support ticket as an attachement, i've tried with three different browsers.

I've posted it on file sharing site:

http://demo.ovh.com/en/59bb88e5cdfe4acb95189d8660d7b882/