Automated Backup
1753715 Members
4805 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with Ultrium Autoloder 1/9

Aziz Ahmad Afandi

Problem with Ultrium Autoloder 1/9

Just installed the autoloader connect to a Compaq Proliant server.

Whenever the device does an inventory, it frenquently fails to detect some (random location) tapes that are in the removable bay.

The problem does not occur if I fix the barcode label to the tapes.

Anyone has a solution to this.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with Ultrium Autoloder 1/9

This is a known problem when using the blue Ultrium cartridges. The bar code scanner has difficulty distingushing between the blue cartridge and an empty slot.

The workaround is to ensure that a bar code label is on each tape (as you have already found out).

We are looking at improving the tape detection algorithm in a future firmware release, to allow reliable detection of the blue cartridges.
The journey IS the reward.
Aziz Ahmad Afandi

Thanks for the quick reply David.

My company would like to stick on the handwritten label to the tapes. Is there a safe place to position the sticker?
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Aziz, sorry for the delay in following up.

You can use a handwritten label and the library will detect it as a valid tape (with a 'blank' label).

HP Ultrium tapes (C7971A) come with 3 sample (non-barcode) labels you can write on, but you can substitute any white label of similar size. The label should cover most (and preferably all) of the recessed label area, but should not go outside that area.

The bar code reader has the most difficulty distinguishing between solid blue color and an empty slot.
As I mentioned, we hope to improve that in future firmware.

The journey IS the reward.