Automated Backup
1751904 Members
5241 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDX-160 HP-RDX-Sysmon failed to start after 16 minutes

SolveITCS

RDX-160 HP-RDX-Sysmon failed to start after 16 minutes

I have a ProLiant ML-110 G5 Server with the external RDX-160 Disk Backup System attached via USB2.0
Device successfully installs & begins backup, but once server is restarted (SBS2003) The login screen freezes at the "Applying Computer Settings stage". Was able to boot in safe mode & find in Event Viewer the failed service in subject header relating to the RDX160 device.
Unable to open utility & check backup, or create new jobs on new RDX disks.
HP aware of this problem & waiting for solution since 25th Feb. Anyone else have this problem as HP are aware. Perhaps someone has found a fix for this. Many thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Nuno Fonseca

I have the same problem. Disabled the "HP-RDX-SYSMON" service when booted in safe mode. Logged in ok in normal mode but new cartridge recognition didn't work. Started the service manually and it recognizes new cartridges.

Any news on this??
SolveITCS

HP Support have told me that the image file on the download page to create an iso contains updated utility to correct this fault. I will be performing the work on Friday 17th April 2009 & will report back to this message board the results.
Nuno Fonseca

I have installed the latest CD version (3.0.512.4320) but it still hangs on restart "Applying Computer Settings". Let me know if it works for you.

Right now I have set the service to "Manual" and only start it when i need to recognize a new cartridge. It still backs up and recognizes a "initialized" backup cartdrige when the "HP-RDX-SYSMON" service is disabled/stopped.

Do you know if this software backs up SQL Server / Exchange Online (VSS)?
How about Virtual Server 2005 Virtual Machines?
It does seem to backup the virtual hard disks (.vhd) But at 8 gb per .vhd version it will fill up the cartridge pretty quickly.
It appears to only do file deduplication, but I think I read it somewhere that it would do data(sector,chunk) deduplication. Any ideas?
SolveITCS

I shall let you know how I get on, but I cant even start the service manually at the moment to create new disks.
SolveITCS

Sorry for delay - I was unable to wait onsite for the new backup to run before testing the server restart.... yes thats right! The new utility installation worked, & I made a new backup disk, but 1 week later I returned to reboot the server, and guess what, the same error occured. I rebooted in safe mode & disabled the HP_RDX_Sysmon service & restarted again.
This time the server started normally & I was surprised to see that the backup did actually work perfectly. When I contacted HP about this, I was told the old service is not used anymore, but isnt removed.
Problem resolved, although would have been helpful if HP let me know to disable the service in question & avoided another site visit.