Automated Backup
1752794 Members
6500 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDX-320 - Cartridge Not detected after using Backup Exec

Tim Winstanley

RDX-320 - Cartridge Not detected after using Backup Exec

We installed a RDX-320 on 350-G5 with SBS 2008.
At that time there was no support for x64 and we got around this problem by installing BAckup Exec on a 60 day trial. This worked ok.

We've now installed the x64 drivers and the unit is upgraded to F/W 3032
The software running is
HP Continuous data protection version:3.0.512.5393

The software is now prompting us "insert an HP RDX cartridge to protect the system" even though there is one in there.

In fact, the diagnostic utility confirms there is one in there, it has its own drive letter and we can browse it from within Windows Explorer.

I suspect because it's been used (it is now blank - formatted with NTFS) the system doesn't recognise it ?

How do I re-initialize it so that we can use it with the HP software rather than BE ?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Hi,

i had similar issues on different installation.

on a 2003sbs server, i had to set the sysmon service to "start manually" and to start it manuallay after reboot to succesfully recognize new tapes...

now i'm stucked on an xp sp3 pc, which recognized the first tape, but after that, no more tape where recognized. i have tried to start the services manually without success.

both pc have the newest software version xxxxx.5424, and most recent firmware available...

same symptons: software ask for tape, and utility shows it with a "good" status. i'm able to eject and so on, but the "new catridge window won't show up"?

any help welcomed.
chris
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Christophe, are you on an RDX, which is a removable, ruggedized hard drive, or on physical tape? You might want to start a new thread, since your problem (especially if tape!) is quite different from the original poster's problem.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Peter Bartosik

I have similar problem, with RDX 160. For the first cartridge was promped to choose the purpose, but two other cartridges are only shown as other hardisks (accesible).

I can not get the two other cartridges to work in automatic backup mode.

The continuous data protection software will not recognize them as cartriges.

Any help?

Peter

Hi everyone,

in the mean time, we have been testing a lot of things, lot of trouble recognizing new cadridges. what we suspected is: depending how the RDX services start and wich user they are configured too (the service itself), they would either recognize new tap or not.
in fact, new tape are allways recognized in the mon utility. but the "new cartridge wizard" will never show.

thats why i'm pretty sure that we all have the same problem!

on one installation (sbs2003) i've managed to start the service in the right order to get the wizard shown. i could not manage to find differences beetween the two installation. the hp support told us to update firmware with a "hidden" version that we received from them, which is not published on the official support and download site. as the firmware-update was not succesfull, they have sent us an exchange unit. i will replace it in the next days... but i cannot beleive it will change something. it has to be software/services related.

what do you think?

chris

and sorry for the mistake about tape/cartridge.. yes we use external HDD RDX Cartridge...
Kevin Weeding

Has anyone found a solution for getting the RDX tapes to be recognized. I finally got one to work (not sure how) after trying a number of things. I used the "Cartridge Recycle" feature and now it will not see the cartridge., the diag does just not the CDP?
Kiel Goodman

I believe I have the same problem, has anyone got any steps to enable the continuous data protection?

System Specs:
HP ProLiant ML310 G5
Internal RDX Module connected via the internal tape drive USB connector.
320GB RDX Cartridges
MS Server 2008 SP1 x64

Drive Firmware: 3040
RDX Util: 2.20
RDX Util DLL: 2.28
CDP Software: 3.0.512.5424

RDX util will recognise all cartridges and shows their status are 'good'

However cannot get the CDP to recognise the new cartridge, "Manage HP RDX" always reports "(no cartridge loaded)". The new cartridge wizard never appears.

Out of ideas now, anyone have any?
Thomas Scheidegger

Have an identical problem with RDX-160, when inserting the drive it is detected but no prompt for "do you want to use this harddisk with CDP or as regular HD".
Found out that the process HP-RDX-TRAY.exe is running under a different user. This user has the rdx sys tray icon displayed and is prompted for above question.
Killing this job will automatically restart it again, eventually under a different user.
We are running this on a terminal server 2008 and it seems it takes the first user in the configuration to prompt.
Any idea how to change this to a dedicated user?
Athome
Advisor

I also have this problem..
Running on Windows Server 2008...
Damn annoying...

Any help or tips appreciated.