Automated Backup
1753886 Members
7670 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDX-320 - Cartridge Not detected after using Backup Exec

Hi Everybody,

we finnaly managed to resolve all trouble related to cadridges issue.
first of all, their is an updated software version available for download. be sure to get this before further testing.
you need the new version for the HP tool and for the continous protection! then perfom also a firmware update on your cartridges!

after doing so, and check all services to be started, we were able to recognize all new cartridges. HP sent us new cartridges for the once we were not able to recognize as new (because they were used before that new software version). hope that helps.

I summarize:

install both new HP tool and continous protection application, upgrade your cartridges firmware. if the "do you want to include...." wizard doesn't appear after that, request a replacement cartridges through the HP support.

regards,
chris
Athome
Advisor

Actually.. I got it working here... when logged on the physical console of the server (tried using RDP) at first.
Pierre Lemieux

I was told from level 3 support that fix to be able to use CDP from within Remote Desktop (RDP) will be released in one of the next 2 software versions. Until then, workaround is to use KVM or iLO.

Or, install the software and configure the cartridges locally via KVM or iLO and then, once setup, you can use RDP.
Donald Reynolds

Now it is 2010, is your string of 2009 outdated or do you still have the problem? I just purchased the USB external docking station and RDX cartridges in Jan 2010. So I thought I had all the new software and firmware. But I have the same problem as you guys have been discussing. I am running on MS Win 2003. I have Symantec Backup Exec (BE) Version 11d. First there seemed to be a conflict between HP Continuous Data Protection (HP CDP) and BE. Even though I told HP RDX, each time the cartridge loaded, that I did not want to use the tape for CDP, CDP kept writing to the cartridge. So I uninstalled CDP and finally got BE to recognize the cartridge. But I can only get BE to recognize the first cartridge. Has anyone got BE to recognize a 2nd and 3rd cartridge?
Is having CDP inactive a problem? Do I need it installed? Did anyone have the same conflict between CDP and BE wanting the same cartridge?
I am ready to junk BE and see if CDP can backup my system, but there is little technical detail about what CDP really does and how to set up multiple cartridges. (We have three.) Any thoughts?
Patrick Looney

Same exact spot, where is any documentation on how to use the RDX.
Receiving followings errors using CPS:
message that backup cartridge has not been present for 215 days; other disk says it is full.
TheIdler

I have experienced most of the bizarre behavior of the RDX system that others of you have as well as having my system crash  on insertion of a cartridge. I'm just using it with the built in continuous data protection software. HP eventually replaced the cartridges and internal docking station. Fine for 2 weeks and then back to the old problems. - tape not recognised  although diagnostics say all is well. HP have now told me that in "rare" cases the  system just does not work properly and that they are working on a fix. They suggested that in the meantime I use the cartridge with windows (SBS 2008) backup - a problem in itself as windows thinks that it is dealing with a DVD rather than a disk drive. So I do a manual backup before installing the hotfix to counter the recognition problem wander over to the server where the RDX status is asking me whether I want to use the cartridge as backup. I politely decline, stick in another cartridge and off it goes - doing what it says on the tin. Don't expect it will be working for more than a week or two, we shall see. As I say - bizarre.

edoardo murachelli
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I too am struggling with the bizarre behavior of the unit RDX160 Firware 3040, Rev. RDX util. 2.20, util RDX DLL rev. 2.28, CDP software rev. 3.0.512.10890. I have tried this unit with 2008R2 Foundation of HP, I simulated a crash of the operating system and I have reloaded everything from RDX cartridge (os and a few MB of data). Everything worked perfectly, the server will function completely
Now the server is actively working, and on data partition RAID1 there are 20 GB of data. RDP seems to work perfectly, but if I look in the cartridge can not see all folders, some are empty, others do not contain all the files and sub folders! How is this possible? How can I tell my clients that all is well? As RDP RDX protects the data if I do not see the folders in the cartridge?
Has anyone had the same problem? How did it fix? HP can not be reached for support! Can anyone help me? Many thanks, Edo