Automated Backup
1748161 Members
3862 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SDLT 160/320 compatible with MSL 5026S2 Library?

CA1260100

SDLT 160/320 compatible with MSL 5026S2 Library?

Hi,

our current backup structure uses a total of 16 drives and 5 different models - DATs, DLTs & SDLTs. I want to get rid of the older/redundant drives and rationalise on 6 x SDLT 160/320's (which are hugely under-utilised at present). I then want to install the existing SDLTs into new HP MSL5026S2 libraries - which can be purchased without any drives installed.

I have been looking at the online documentation for the libraries to see how to install my existing SDLTs. However, the drives in the documentation have a metal casing/handle attached to enable them to fit the libraries.

My question is: does the metal drive casing come with the library or do I need to buy an adapter kit? I haven't been able to locate an adapter kit on HP's site and library looks like it comes with just blanking plates (see attached jpg from document)

I'm concerned I'll buy the libraries and then find they are incompatible with my existing SDLTs - any ideas?

Also, do you know if I need an individual SCSI card for each drive (each library will hold 2 SDLTs) or whether I just need one SCSI card per library?

Many thanks if you can advise on this!!
4 REPLIES 4
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Re: SDLT 160/320 compatible with MSL 5026S2 Library?

The library drive is different from a standalone drive, and you therefore cannot just take the mechanism out and put it in a drive shoe. Although they may appear similar at the mechanical level, the firmware is different, and the drives are tested different (to ensure they function properly with autoloaded load/unload of the media).

The library drive assembly will include both the mechanism and the shoe needed to install it in the library.
The journey IS the reward.
CA1260100

Thanks David - appreciate your help!

Is it not possible to upgrade the firmware as well?
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Tape drives do not allow changing from one firmware variant (or personality) to another. This prevents loading of firmware intended for one drive use which has not qualified in others.

However, in the case of the SDLT 160/320 drive, I believe we have used the same drive personality for both standalone and MSL/ESL uses. For most other drive types, we use different personalities between standalone and library drives, so the firmware can be rolled independently.

So for the SDLT 160/320 case it may be possible to put a standalone drive in an MSL library shoe, however the individual drive would not have been tested for that use, and certainly not warranted for that use.
The journey IS the reward.
CA1260100

Thanks again David - warranty and support are an issue as I am implementing the solution but I won't be here to support it.

Its disappointing that HP don't support this upgrade path as I am sure it is a common progression for many companies who are moving from a distributed to a centralised backup architecture. Unfortunately, this means our investment of ├В┬г24k+ in HP SDLT 160/320's over the last 18 months is now defunct.

Thanks again for you help as I now have the information I need to plan a new backup solutio