Automated Backup
1753463 Members
4668 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Storage Mirroring for Virtual Infrastructure

JamiePierce

Storage Mirroring for Virtual Infrastructure

Is there a way to schedule the protection in SMVI? I need to configure a protection window and have it stop protection and remove the snapshots before a certain time so a full backup using vRanger Pro DPP 4.0 can be done. vRanger uses snapshots as well so I dont wont it creating snapshots of snapshots.
4 REPLIES 4
JamiePierce

Re: Storage Mirroring for Virtual Infrastructure

Why does all other HP mirroring solutions offer protection windows except SMVI? Surely theres got to be some command line option to at least be able to stop the protection properly. I can write a batch script to stop the service but that would be dangerous if its in the middle of committing snapshots etc. I have opened a HP SR and still waiting.

Does anyone else use this product or what?
Wendy Repka

Hi
We use SMVI and are looking for a way to schedule the stop/start of protection tasks. Did you ever get an answer?
JamiePierce

Yes I chased down a few Double-Take techs because they had an update to allow scripting for the start/stop already. I eventually managed to then get the SMVI update from HP. Version 3.2.0.58 is what I am running.

They had no documentation on how to script it at the time but figured it out easy enough. Just put a batch file in C:\Program Files\Double-Take Software\Double-Take for VMware Infrastructure\Bin\

With for example

StartProtection Protection=SVMIJOBNAME

Then just schedule that via task manager and do a similar one for StopProtection.

Let me know when you speak to HP about getting that version if there is a new one out. I assume one day they'd make they sceduling an inbuilt feature so you didnt have to use batch files and Task Scheduler.
Wendy Repka

Thank you for posting the answer! This will help us a lot.