Automated Backup
1753768 Members
4991 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape won't unload

Tim Ernest

Tape won't unload

Our SureStore 2/20 has a tape stuck in one of the DLT8000 drives and it will not unload no matter what we try. Any suggestions would be welcome.
5 REPLIES 5
BR679683
Advisor

as far I known there are 3 posebileties:
1 tape is still in use try lsof ore fuser to look if the divice is still in use.
2 tapeunit firmware is old:
power of the tape unit
hold the eject button
power on the tape unit
wait untill the tape ejects.
3 leader is not on the wright please.
because the dlt 8000 is seald a hp engenier has to open the unit and remove the tape. (most of the times all the right lights are flacing).
Tim Ernest

The only way to eject is via software or issuing the Unload Tape command on the front panel. Neither has worked. It is not still in use. The unit showed the tape and drive as "Idle" but when I tried to unload it fails.

I was hoping to avoid having to call an HP tech to come out.

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone from HP have any idea? or do I just need to call for tech support?

CA789381

When you attempt to unload the drive, using the front panel of the library, what is the error message that you get when the operation fails? It would be especially helpful if you could provide the "Code" and "Qualifier" which you can find on the third page of the error listing (press MORE twice after the error message has been displayed).

It is possible that the drive has dropped or lost the leader. The drive leader is a mechanism for hooking the tape and threading it into the drive. If the drive has lost it's leader you will hear a slapping sound from the drive at power up. The best way to hear this is to power off the 2/20 library and power it back on. Then walk to the back of the library and wait for the fans on the back of the drive enclosure to turn on. Power is applied to both the enclosure fan and the drive at the same time. If you hear a slapping noise with in about 30 seconds of the drive powering up the leader has most likely dropped and you will need to call service to get it fixed. The drive makes other noises that are normal, such as a buzzing sound and whirring.

There are other instances where the tape gets stuck in a DLT drive...

If you have applied a label in another location other than the barcode label area the tape may not eject far enough for the library to pick the tape from the drive mouth. Again, you will most likely have to call service to have them walk you through the removal procedure.

Host software could have the drive reserved, or is automatically reloading the tape after an unload operation. Make sure that the software has released the drive that you are tiring to empty. Or, you can disconnect the library from the host and power cycle the library, which will release any conflicting reservation. Then use the front panel to unload the drive.
Tim Ernest

It looks like it's something with the tape itself. No software is still using it. I've repowered it a number of times both connected and not connected to the server no change. I've pulled the drive out and swapped locations with the other drive...no change. I guess it's a call to an HP tech... Thanks for the info.