1752576 Members
4361 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: malfunctioning drive in MSL5026 rackmount library

Eric Sproul
Occasional Advisor

malfunctioning drive in MSL5026 rackmount library

I am having a problem with one of the SDLT 160/320 drives in my MSL5026S2 rackmount library. It is connected via SCSI to a host running Debian GNU/Linux and AMANDA. I'd like to know if there is any way to further identify and correct my problem, or whether the drive needs factory servicing.

Drive 0 is malfunctioning in that when you load a tape, its status (as shown on the MSL's touch screen) is 'Calibrating', and rather than going on to 'Reading' and 'Idle' within a few seconds, it sticks on Calibrating for an extended period, then seems to time out and go idle.

An attempt to read or write to this drive under Linux produces an I/O error. There are no SCSI messages in the kernel log, so I do not suspect any sort of bus problem. The drive was working normally up until a couple weeks ago. I have tried multiple tapes, and have run a cleaning tape several times, with no effect. Drive 1 is fully functional, and I am using that one right now until I can fix Drive 0.

Due to the fact that HP's diagnostic s/w doesn't run under Linux, I'm restricted to what I can get from the library's own menu, so I'm sorry if I didn't include enough information. Can anyone offer additional advice?

Thanks,
Eric
6 REPLIES 6
CA713937
Honored Contributor

The best place to look would be the drive's error log, from an L&TT support ticket. It will tell you if the drive has reported hard errors on calibration and/or when attempting to write or read. The error entries are stamped with the power-on hour (POH).

> Due to the fact that HP's diagnostic s/w doesn't run under Linux.

HP LTT does run under redhat linux. Depending on how close your distribution is to redhat, it may run (let us know @ ltt_team@hp.com).
The journey IS the reward.
Eric Sproul
Occasional Advisor

Thanks David. What does LTT stand for? I'd like to try it under Debian.

Eric
Eric Sproul
Occasional Advisor

Nevermind... it's "Library and Tape Tools", and I've successfully downloaded the rpm and converted it to a .deb with alien. Works like a champ.

Now to test. Update to follow.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric Sproul
Occasional Advisor

OK, so I figure since I get I/O errors trying to use the drive, maybe I should try a read/write test.

When I start the read/write test from LTT, it seems to get stuck "Checking for presence of cartridge". I just loaded a blank tape via the mail slot, so I know the drive has a tape in it.

I think this is the core of the problem. The library knows that it loaded a tape into the drive, but the drive seems unable to detect the tape. I have tried numerous, known good tapes (they work fine in the other drive), so I've ruled out a bad tape.

In LTT, from Main -> Drive Information (on Drive0), the drive reports that there is no media. This would explain the I/O error, as it seems identical to when you try writing to an empty drive.

Am I at the point that I need to call HP and discuss a replacement?

Thanks,
Eric
Eric Sproul
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, forgot to include the detailed drive info that supports my theory...

- Detailed Device Information
- Tape at address (10.1.0)
- SCSI Test Unit Ready returns a check condition
- SCSI Info : 0x02 0x5200 (Cartrige Error, Calibration Failure)
- Vendor ID : COMPAQ
- Product ID : SDLT320
- Tape Motion Hours : 386
- Power on Hours : 7889
- Firmware Revision : V046
Eric Sproul
Occasional Advisor

Just to close out this thread-- I called HP support about my problem, and yesterday I received a replacement drive, as it was still under warranty. The field tech was very efficient and pleasant, so kudos to HP's support network. :-)

Thanks,
Eric