Automated Backup
1751945 Members
4797 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

scaling up from HP Autoloaders

BR699340

scaling up from HP Autoloaders

we have two autoloaders. one dlt 818, and one ultrium. they're not proving up to job as we run out of time during the night. we have about 400Gb to backup.

question1
can we purchase anything that can utilise these devices? say, maybe we can put the drives from them in an alternative device?
question2
with multi-drive devices, does each drive do a separate backup job (i.e. drive1 backs up one server at the same time that drive2 backs up another) or do they both share one job at the same time? (i.e. both backup server1 over two tapes, then server2, etc)

Thanks guys n girls
darrenw@prebon.co.uk
2 REPLIES 2
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: scaling up from HP Autoloaders

hi
question1
can we purchase anything that can utilise these devices? say, maybe we can put the drives from them in an alternative device?
>> these device are dedicated to that hardware, you cannot move these device to a library.

question2
with multi-drive devices, does each drive do a separate backup job (i.e. drive1 backs up one server at the same time that drive2 backs up another) or do they both share one job at the same time? (i.e. both backup server1 over two tapes, then server2, etc)
>>With "multi-drive" device also called library, you can perform what you want, it depend of the software you are using to manage it, you can use one drive to backup one NT server and another drivet to perform a backup on unix, it is the application that manage the library, and each drive can be connected to different path to differents server.

bye

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Re: scaling up from HP Autoloaders

> we have two autoloaders. one dlt 818, and one ultrium....

> question1: can we purchase anything that can utilise these devices? say, maybe we can put the drives from them in an alternative device?

The 818 autoloader uses an integrated DLT8K drive, and cannot be moved to a library.

On your Ultrium autoloader, if this is a SureStore 1/9 model, it has an Ultrium drive module that will fit in a 20/40/60/... slot SureStore library.
The journey IS the reward.