BackOffice Products
1748266 Members
3806 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup Now! corrupt files

Jim Adams_3

Backup Now! corrupt files

I have been using the backup program Backup Now! for a couple of years with no problems. (Backup Now! is produced by NewTech Infosystems, or NTI).

The URL for Backup Now! is:
http://www.ntius.com/default.asp?p=backupnow/bun_main

Anyway, all of a sudden my backup files have become corrupted. The backed up files have the extension NBF.

Whenever I try to open a backed up file using the Backup Now! program, I get a message that says "Invalid Backup File". It appears that most of my *.nbf files are corrupted. THe Backup Now! program will not open the file.

I already contacted NTI, and they were no help at all. They told me that they do not have a software tool that will repair *.nbf files. They did not have any other suggestions.

Other than not being able to open them, my backed up files appear to be normal. The Windows XP chkdsk program will not repair the files; neither will the Windows 98 scandisk program. I believe that all of my data is still in the backup file, its just that the Backup Now! program will not open the file.

Does anyone know of a program that can repair *.nbf files? Or, at least maybe there is a program that can extract my data from the corrupted *.nbf files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Jim Adams
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Well, you would probably get a better response in a non-UNIX forum but if I were you I would switch to Data Protector (oh yeah, Now!). "Backup Now!" -- the name says it all.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Andy Torres
Trusted Contributor

A backup program that creates corrupt backup files is not fun. At least you discovered it before you needed a restore, huh?

You sound sure that it's the nbf files that are corrupted. If they are the only files corrupted maybe you need to reinstall the software. That seems to be the usual Windows solution to problems like that - especially when the product's support people cannot help at all.

Have you explored the possibility that your nbf files are being written to a bad disk? Maybe a test backup to different disk will verify that, maybe not.

I'm really just guessing where my troubleshooting would take me. This may not be the best forum for you. There has got to be a better forum where you can surround yourself with other Backup Now! users. A Google search resulted in many forum entries from others who have problems restoring with this program. Give those a try.

Good luck!
Andy Torres
Trusted Contributor

Extra info: From Google searches, I see mention that WinRAR could extract *.nbf files, but that may just be a file extension cross-reference.

Just stabbin' in the dark. Let us know how it turns out.
akomi

Your NBF files are probably not corrupt... I have 54 disc of my music collection backed up using an earlier version on NTI Backup Now! 3.x and the new version of bacup now does not recognize the NBF files... NTI help techs are of no help,,, My earlier version of Backup Now was lost when my HD crashed... But I was able to download and install a trial version of 3.0 and it gives a 30 day or 7 uses trial. It worked on opening my NBF files... But they want $79 to register it... And I have the registered version of NTI Backup Now!5.0...
I'm at loss of how to continue the 3.0 version without paying again... NTI seems to just "don't give a damn..." about their previous software versions...