1753613 Members
5661 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Exchange SP4 -- New mail notification, but no new mail

Matt Fulks
Frequent Advisor

Exchange SP4 -- New mail notification, but no new mail

Recently everyone in my organization has started receiving new mail notifications, but no mail is delivered. There are no shared Calendars so I know that is not the problem. Is there any error that would cause this to happen? There are no events in either the System or Application logs for the Exchange box. I recently removed a server, that has been inactive for over a year, from the configuration.
2 REPLIES 2
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Re: Exchange SP4 -- New mail notification, but no new mail

Hello Matt,

It's strange that every user would suddenly start seeing this without some kind of configuration change. Would the users have all started using some Outlook feature like Organize? Outlook will display the new mail notification even when messages are moved directly out of the inbox into some other folder - like junk email, or even automatically moving messages to a certain folder with a rule. Did you set up any new rules on the server or would all of the clients started using rules to automatically move or delete their mail?

The new mail notification is sent as a UDP packet from the server so maybe you will need to get a network trace to see what is going on. If the user refreshes their view (clicks on another folder and then goes back to the inbox), do they still see the new mail icon? What kind of clients are they - OS and mail application? Check for rules on the server and rules on the client side and let us know if you find anything.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Matt Fulks
Frequent Advisor

Re: Exchange SP4 -- New mail notification, but no new mail

Thanks Jamie. I think I solved the problem. When I was having trouble configuring the Free/Busy Connector I added everone to the F/B Distribution List not realizing that that list was for MS Mail accounts. I think the F/B Connector was sending notifications to everyone on that list. I removed all of the Exchange accounts from the Dist. list and so far... so good.
thanks again.