1753354 Members
4965 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Outlook OST file

NL9999
Occasional Contributor

Outlook OST file

My disk crashed and I'm trying to recover from my backup. My help desk told me that the outlook.ost is not where my emails reside. Is that correct?
5 REPLIES 5
georgemad
Advisor

Outlook.ost, is a copy of your exchange emails locally on your outlook client. So one you reconnect to Exchange the OST will rebuild it self.

PST are locally kept, such as your archive.

If by chance you loose your mailbox in exchange and you have a copy of your OST file, you can use utilities to recover what is in the OST file.
NL9999
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. The situation is I used Outlook in offline mode (all my email resides on my laptop, no emails remain on the server). When I restored my pst files they contained only older emails. Could my ost file contain the emails that I'm missing? Also, what's the utility for recovering the ost file.
JNPT

You may first convert ost file to pst file
usable with MS Outlook and recovers all OST objects like e-mails, email, folders, calendars, contacts, tasks, notes, appointments etc. After converting, you can directly use PST file with Outlook, just by importing it. You can try some nice ost to pst conversion software like( Visit->http://www.convert-ost-pst.com/)
systools

USE SysTools ost Recovery Software to convert Outlook OST file to pst file with easily. visits us our site and download ost recovery software and solve ost to pst problem a few software click.
http://www.exchangeostrecovery.org/
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi there,

configure outlook again and check whether all your mails are there.... they should be there on exchange server unless administrator or you delete them...

it does not matter whether you use ur outlook in offline or online mode... only difference is that newly updated emails will not be downloaded in offline mode but the moment you reconnect they will be downloaded from the server... depending on the size of your mail box (approx.. 200 mb or customised) you should get all your mails and other settings in default inbox which is your OST

hope this helps,
aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo