108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PLEASE help! CPU Usage at 100%...

SOLVED
Go to solution
FRANKIE_5
Advisor

Im Just SOOOO overwelmed. I think I may be in over my head. Does anybody know of any computer Techs in the Los Angeles area or should I take it to like Best Buy & have them service (Reem) me? I just dont think Im computer savy enough to keep up with all that you nice people have recently suggested and when I AM able to do as you advise, I cant understand what Im looking at. Im TOTALLY bummed out. I HATE giving up but Im just SOOO lost & confused. What do ya all think?
Thanks
Frankie
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

before you totally give up, do a format and then reinstall the WinXP from scratch. In other words, do a clean install!
I'm assuiming that you your Computer is compatible with WinXP and meets the minimum requirements! if you still failed to get it up and running then you may take it to a service technician. that's probably what the Service TEchnician will do!
Please consider assiging points to all of the guys, they have invested their time to help you!
Thanks

"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Frankie:

I think we must have missed something. When I re-read your original post, I am struck (as someone else mentioned here) by the fact that you say your CPU is 100% but you also say that System Idle is 94% (which actually means 6% CPU). When you say your CPU is 100%, what do you mean? Where are you taking that reading?

Secondly, I'm intrigued by the fact that your system would not do a System Restore. Please follow these directions and tell us at what point you get the problem/error message. Click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. When the program launches, select 'Restore my computer to an earlier time' and click Next. Frankie:

I think we must have missed something. When I re-read your original post, I am struck (as someone else mentioned here) by the fact that you say your CPU is 100% but you also say that System Idle is 94% (which actually means 6% CPU). When you say your CPU is 100%, what do you mean? Where are you taking that reading?

Secondly, I'm intrigued by the fact that your system would not do a System Restore. Please follow these directions and tell us at what point you get the problem/error message. Click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. When the program launches, select 'Restore my computer to an earlier time' and click Next. A calendar should appear with some dates in BOLD. Click on a BOLDED date before the problem surfaced. Go back to September if you must (anything's got to be better than what you're going through, no). When you click on a BOLDED date, the box to the right should show a Restore point (that's why the calendar was BOLDED). Click NEXT, then NEXT again and your system will be restored.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Sorry about the formatting of that last post. It should look like this:

Frankie:

Secondly, I'm intrigued by the fact that your system would not do a System Restore. Please follow these directions and tell us at what point you get the problem/error message. Click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. When the program launches, select 'Restore my computer to an earlier time' and click Next. A calendar should appear with some dates in BOLD. Click on a BOLDED date before the problem surfaced. Go back to September if you must (anything's got to be better than what you're going through, no). When you click on a BOLDED date, the box to the right should show a Restore point (that's why the calendar was BOLDED). Click NEXT, then NEXT again and your system will be restored.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Perignon
Honored Contributor

Hello Frankie,

As many others, I'me feeling more ant more confused because we haven't put the finger on the problem proper.

May I suggest a drastic but efficient solution? Store your essential files on a CD, a partition/disk or on a site offering such services and re-install your OS, drivers and programs.

The only way which will help start with a fresh system is:
Format the partion/disk that should host XP and reinstall it!
Once done and as necessary, install manually those drivers which are reluctant to the Plug-and-Play function of Windows (to that prospect, download a collection of XP-compliant drivers where appropriate).
Take a picture (notice) of the start-up program of XP (in MSCONFIG or its XP equivalent) any time you are installing a new program. Then unmark the references to programs that you can otherwise launch from the desktop (to the exception of the Anti-Virus and Internet Security).

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Dear Frankie, i have a suggestion very simple.
Try to remove driver of Audio Card.
Remove phisically also Audio Card (if not integrated).
Try Now Execution of your programs and check CPU Usage.
It works speedy ? If yes us have discovery the cause of problem:
Audio card defected or Installation driver audio failed.
Now you must change card or re-install driver audio or update driver right for your hardware.
Good Luck.
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
FRANKIE_5
Advisor

Hey Everybody...GREEEEEEAT NEWS!!!!
First, I want to THANK YOU ALL so much for all your help. I had no idea there were that many kind people who give so much of their time to helping out as youve all done. I TRULY wish I could Thank you ALL by doing more than assigning 10 points to every post you all made.OK...so you can see Im HAPPY....Now...check this...and dont get mad!
When Roger said he was confused that my System Restore wouldnt work & gave me the steps to access it, I was like "Huh? What System Restore" is he talking about?". You see I Originally tried using a Program on my computer called "GO BACK" which is part of ROXIO. THAT was the program that told me "No safe place to Restore to". I had no idea Windows XP had a System Restore in it! Anyway, I did a system Restore back to a date where I was running smoothly and my computer rebooted in a flash & as I type this Im playing a MP3 and everything is back to normal. GOD IM HAPPY!!!
Im going to print & copy all the posts to my Original post because I DID learn soooo much from all of this. Again, I can NOT express how incredibly grateful I am to all you people who stayed with me to fix this.
BEYOND Grateful,
Frankie
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Your enthusiasm us renders happy. You are fantastic. Thanks.
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Glad things worked out for you. I would recommend that you create a new point for future use and give it a name that will remind of this incident!!!
Good luck and come back soon!!!
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Perignon
Honored Contributor

Frankie,

I'm really happy that our common efforts had help you overcome the many tricks of Win XP. A very sophisticated OS. The problem with Microsoft is that it takes years to get familiar with their products...and finally, once you feel comfortable, they just change everything!!!

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.