1752288 Members
3914 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proxy Server Settings not set in User Profiles

Matt Fulks
Frequent Advisor

Proxy Server Settings not set in User Profiles

I have a WinNT 4.0 domain with user profiles and policies setup. On each Win2K client I have setup the Internet Options of IE to connect via a Proxy Server. However some users are not able to browse the internet while others can. Is there an easy way to set the Proxy Settings in IE to point to the Proxy Server? Is there an add-on to Poledit or something?
4 REPLIES 4
Juan Margarit
Occasional Advisor

Re: Proxy Server Settings not set in User Profiles

I understand that winsock client could also be used besides IE configuration.
I know that profiles interact with the ability to change the registry if they are mandatory. I??m having similar problems with Outlook. Perhaps you could look at MSFTQ158634 and have a better scope.
Good luck
None
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hi Matt,

You can use the IEAK to administer IE policies for your users, such as the proxy server settings. It's free for download from MS. I would send you the link, but I'm not sure what version(s) of IE you have deployed. Just go out and search on their download site for the IEAK for your IE version(s). Or here is the IEAK homepage.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ieak/techinfo/default.asp

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Graham Morecroft
Occasional Advisor

I am not sure about W2K clients but with our NT4 clients we found that we had to enter the proxy settings while logged onto the clients as local administrator and then log on using the profiles for them all to work correctly.

You could try that
Oh well, at least it can't get any worse -=SERVER CRASH DURING MIRRORED SYSTEM REBUILD=-
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

IEAK is the way to go. It also lets you spiff up the browser window with default links, custom graphics, etc. Cool stuff.