3728 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Windows ME login password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brendan O'Mahony

Windows ME login password

I must have tried almost every way possible to get windows to stop asking me for a password when I start up the computer. I've even downloaded TweakUI and tried to use this to get the password prompt to stop - I still get the password prompts in Windows and also have
to type in a password to get on the net. The option to have Outlook Express remember my ISP password is not available.

When I switch on a dialog box appears which says

"Type in a name to identify yourself to windows. TIP: If you don't enter a
password, you won't get this prompt again at startup"

Then I get two Windows Networking boxes with the message
"The windows password you typed is incorrect"
I have to click on OK in both of these boxes.

If I then click OK in the password dialog box a Windows Network box pops up
again to say my password is incorrect. The only way to start windows is to
click on Cancel in the password dialog box. The Computer is a Pavilion 9715.

Help!

Bren
1 REPLY 1
Marco Hogeveen
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Windows ME login password

Brendan,

Try this:
Click Start , point to Settings , click Control Panel , and then double-click Network.
On the Configuration tab, click Windows Logon in the Primary Network Logon box, and then click OK.
When you are prompted to restart your computer, click No.
In Control Panel, double-click Passwords.
On the Change Passwords tab, click Change Windows Password , select any of the check boxes that you want, and then click OK.

NOTE : If you cancel the network logon dialog box when you start your computer, the Change Passwords tab may not be available. You must log on so that the Change Passwords tab is available.
In the Change Windows Password dialog box, type your current Windows password in the Old Password box. Leave the New Password and Confirm New Password boxes blank, click OK , and then click OK.

NOTE : If you have forgotten your old password, view the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q189126 Microsoft's Policy Regarding Missing or Invalid Passwords.

On the User Profiles tab, verify that the All users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop settings option is selected, and then click Close.
Click Start , point to Search (or Find ), and then click For Files or Folders.
Type *.pwl in the Named box, click Local Hard Drives in the Look in box, and then press ENTER.
Right-click one of the .pwl files, click Rename , and then rename the file with an .old file name extension. Repeat this step for each .pwl file.

NOTE : If you do not rename the .pwl files, the passwords from those files may be detected by Windows and the Windows Logon request may continue to appear.

Shut down and then restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

Marco.