108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows ME to XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
R._1
Occasional Contributor

Windows ME to XP

Since I will be upgrading our systems from ME to XP, at the same time formatting for NTSF- is it important to have ME running tiptop and all software in there, that we will use afterwards?
Or will the formatting wipe it all out anyway? do I start with bare bones?
4 REPLIES 4
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Windows ME to XP

I think you will lose everything if you reformat so that apps don't matter. What you do want to do is make sure that you have XP drivers for your video, modem, and/or network cards. Verify that XP handles them and if it doesn't, download the drivers while you still can.

Also be aware that XP may not work with certain printers and digital cameras.

Once you have it up and running go to www.microsoft.com select download/windows and let it check your install for the latest drivers.

Ron

R._1
Occasional Contributor

Ron, thanks-that is what I thought. I have downloaded upgrades etc.
I wonder about using two formats though. Do I want to use Fat 32 and ME + NTSF and XP. or how does that work? Seems to me complicated.What about NTSF only and XP.Or can you pair that with ME as well.
Gee , how many Drives will I need ,I mean partitions?
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Don't think ME will run on NFTS. You would need two partitions and probably something like LILO to let you choose which to boot.

Ron
R._1
Occasional Contributor

No, ME will not run on NTFS, but XP will. But will I be able to partition that , so I have ME on FAT 32 and XP on NTFS?
I wanted to have 2 drives anyway and that way I would use the XP/NTFS for editing software and storage.
Possible?
How much do I allot or need to allot to both?