1752576 Members
3866 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows XP blue screen (crash) after install a PCI modem

Mr. Paul Lo
Occasional Contributor

Windows XP blue screen (crash) after install a PCI modem

After I add a new PCI modem to the computer, the XP does not recognise that there is a new hardware. So I manually install the driver and install it at COM 1. However, the correct config should be COM 3. After copying all the driver, the XP said that the installation is unsuccessful, but in the device manager, still can see the modem install at COM1. So I try to uninstall it. But at that time the XP crash and the bluw screen appear and dumping memory.

I try many time, but every time I try to change/uninstall the "installed" modem, the blue screen appear.

So, how can I fix the problem?

Thanks!!
7 REPLIES 7
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Windows XP blue screen (crash) after install a PCI modem

Hi:

The fact that the modem isn't autodetected sounds like a problem. Any PCI card is usually either detected and assigned IRQ,address, etc. either by the computer BIOS or by the OS (WINXP, in this case), dependant upon whether "Plug and Play OS" is on or off in the BIOS.
When the computer first comes up and the BIOS-specific info appears on screen, do you see a list of controllers and does the list include the modem? If you have the manufacturer and model of the modem, please publish those here. Some modems have unusual installation requirements, especially older modems. Otherwise, I would assume the modem is either not WINXP-compliant, defective, or both.
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Paul:

Sorry, I forgot to ask you to give us the error message or at least the first line. Thanks.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Mr. Paul Lo
Occasional Contributor

The modem is Motorola SM56. Yesterday, I just disable the COM 1 and reboot the computer, then I can uninstall it. And I just buy a new Rockwell Chipset modem and it is 100% XP complatible.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Paul:

I'm fascinated with how glibly you assert your modem to be Windows XP-compliant, yet Motorola has no Windows XP drivers on their SM56 driver page:

http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/SM56_DRIVERS.html

I suppose you could try the Windows 2000 driver from the above link.

Good luck!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Paul:

If you mean that you have tried two different modems and they both fail, then you need to try the other PCI slots or check the BIOS PCI settings.

Do they fail identically?
Make a great day!

Roger
Mr. Paul Lo
Occasional Contributor

The Motorola modem is usable with Win 2000 driver if and only if it is a fresh & clean installation, i.e.never installed before or not upgrade from previous version.

The new modem I buy is 100% usable and I use it now.

Thanks.
ylay

This motorola driver happen to fix the " PCI modem" not recognise in Compaq nc4000 too.

which the most commonly used is not applicable:-

eg: conenexant pci soft modem
LT pic soft modem