Backup and Governance
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Data Protection: Our Customers Speak

StephenSpellicy ‎06-19-2013 01:49 PM - edited ‎02-19-2015 12:40 PM

It was a week of great announcements and meetings at HP Discover. HP Autonomy launched Data Protector 8, a product focused on handling issues of distributed big data backup & recovery. 

As a product manager, I was at Discover to support the launch of Data Protector 8.  I was specifically interested in connecting with HP Autonomy customers and gauging honest feedback concerning our products.

Over the past few days, I had many opportunities to have customers share their challenges, balanced against their IT vision/aspirations, and what ways they are seeking to solve these problems either through one-on-one customer meetings or open forum discussions.  I am delighted when this happens in the open forum because it’s as if a light goes on in the room. Call it curiosity or validation; people like to know they aren’t the only ones trying to figure it all out.

Here’s a snippet of a discussion in one room, last week:

“Have you tried the StoreOnce active network bandwidth control feature yet?”
“Yes, we were a beta tester and we found that it’s best when schedule the backup this way…”

“But if you are going to use that feature, maybe you should rethink that approach to your network class of service policies, here is what we learned…”

Sometimes, the best thing I can do is simply stand there silently, listen and take notes. I get to experience the enthusiasm these folks have and see how committed they are to solve tough technology problems with our software – it makes my job more meaningful. 

So what have I learned?

Customers are successfully leveraging HP Autonomy’s Data Protection SIG technologies to solve some of their great challenges.  These include: Tackling their remote office backup, lights out data management, mission critical application protection, and gaining the advantage of scale and efficiency with our storage assisted backup with HP 3PAR snapshot integration.  Some are starting to dip their toes into our newest cloud-based backup &recovery offering.

HP is constantly striving to solve the toughest customer challenges.  In my domain, this means helping customers handle the protection of the deluge of data we know as Distributed Big Data (data in huge volume, created with high velocity and literally everywhere), or perhaps handling the challenge of protecting 100s of remote site with varying degrees of network latency and reliability.  HP Autonomy aims to create technology that is innovative yet user friendly that will not only solve the issues that keep customers up at night but solve the issues that customers aren’t even aware of.

0 Kudos
About the Author

StephenSpellicy

Stephen Spellicy is known as a virtualization and data protection subject matter expert with 17+ years of experience in the technology industry. As the Director of Product Management for Data Protection within HP Software's Division, he manages a portfolio of software products that over 60k customers leverage worldwide. His expertise within the backup/recovery, storage, virtualization, and cloud technology areas have also gained him recognition with HP internally and externally, with many contributed articles published technology focused magazines & periodicals.

Events
Each Month in 2016
Software Expert Days - 2016
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more
Sep 30
Seattle, WA
OpenStack Days Seattle
OpenStack Days Seattle, September 30, is the largest gathering of OpenStack users and prospective users in the Pacific Northwest region.
Read more