Behind the scenes at Labs
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April Slayden Mitchell proves that it’s cool to be a girl geek

HP Software played host to Bay Area “girl geeks” on March 13 for an evening of food and drinks, along with a panel session that featured some of HP’s top female leaders, including HP Labs Principal Scientist April Slayden Mitchell. Those of you faithfully following us will probably recognize April from previous posts, as she has most recently led the team behind HP Labs Compass, an enterprise social collaboration service.

HPGGD_small.jpgGirl Geek Dinners is the result of one geek in the UK who decided to go find more of her kind and invite them to dinner, and HP participates in the Bay Area Chapter. Joining April on the panel was an impressive
display of HP female leadership
 (shown standing left to right in the photo at left):  Ann Livermore - HP Director and Former Executive Vice President; Tracy Keogh - Executive VP of HP Human Resources; Bethany Meyer – Senior VP and General Manager of HP Networking; and Dr. Elisabeth Joyce - Chief Information Security Officer and Infrastructure Services of HP Software. The event, hosted at the HP offices at Moffett Field, was very popular: the event’s waiting list topped out at over 500 people.

hpggd2_small.jpgThe panel shared inspiring stories and their views on current technology and trends, discussed what it’s like to be a woman working at one of the biggest tech companies in the world, and answered many questions from the audience, including offering advice on managing your career in the tech industry.

We caught up with April after the event, who told us “it was an honor and absolutely a pleasure to serve on the HPGGD panel. I had just as much fun sharing my own personal story as I did learning from the advice of my fellow panel members, all of whom I consider personal role models.”  April also added that “the dinner was a wonderful opportunity to meet and interact with other technical women in a casual setting where we could share stories, swap advice, and make new friends. I’m very proud of the fact that HP was the host for this inspiring event, and I look forward to attending more events like this in the future!”

In the video at left, April talks more about the importance of innovation. View the full replay of the event here; learn more about the Bay Area Chapter of Girl Geek Dinners, and check out some interesting tweets about April’s participation on the panel:

BayAreaGGD ‏@BayAreaGGD13 Mar

"Innovation needs to be at the heart of any company that wants to thrive" @slaydenmitchell #HPGGD pic.twitter.com/tHvA2gvWHg

Emma Utstrand ‏@emmalainen13 Mar

@slaydenmitchell: the advantage of innovation&research at a large company is the huge consumer/customer base/data that comes with it #HPGGD

hpggd3_small.jpg hpggd4_small.jpg

0 Kudos
About the Author

martina_trucco

Editor, Behind the Scenes @ Labs and Senior Manager, Innovation Marketing

Events
Online Expert Days - 2020
Visit this forum and get the schedules for online Expert Days where you can talk to HPE product experts, R&D and support team members and get answers...
Read more
HPE at 2020 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2020
Read more