cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chandrakant Patel elected to Silicon Valley Engineering Hall of Fame

Guest_Blogger

Contributed by Simon Firth, freelance technology journalist

Chandrakant Patel_web 1.jpg

HP Labs Senior Fellow and Chief Engineer Chandrakant Patel has been elected to the Silicon Valley Engineering Council Hall of Fame, joining an elite group of honorees that includes HP’s own Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard.

The award, now in its 25th year, recognizes engineers, technology leaders, and scientists who have “demonstrated outstanding professional achievement and have made significant contributions to Silicon Valley and the Greater Bay Area communities.”

Patel was recognized for his pioneering work in the design of IT infrastructures and in the application of IT for solving societal problems. Patel is also a strong advocate of fundamental education and training in science and engineering, especially in his local community. He has taught at Chabot College, UC Berkeley Extension, Santa Clara University, and San Jose State University, and serves on the EECS Industrial Advisory Board at UC Berkeley. 

“Receiving this award is humbling,” said Patel on hearing of the award. “It’s also hugely meaningful to me because it symbolizes my passion for engineering, for supporting my immediate community, and my dedication to HP.”

Predicting the future of IT

A prolific inventor and among the first to understand the implications of energy consumption on IT, Patel’s research interests led directly to the establishment of the Smart Data Center research program at HP Labs. Recognizing the ties between IT and global sustainability, he has also charted new directions in reducing energy consumption in large urban infrastructures.

“In the future, IT will be at the crossroads of people, profit, planet, and petadata,” Patel explains. “It’s time to get the rest of the world digitally connected while using technology to better manage our natural resources. One of the things that I’m passionate about communicating is that managing the upcoming deluge of data is both a challenge and an opportunity for us all - and that doing it both successfully and responsibly from a social and ecological perspective - can still be a profitable business.”

Over his career, Patel has been granted 133 patents, authored more than 150 papers, and been elected a Fellow of both the IEEE and the ASME. He holds an AS in Engineering from the City College of San Francisco, a BS in Mechanical Engineering from UC Berkeley, and an MS in Mechanical Engineering from San Jose State University. Patel is a registered professional mechanical engineer in the state of California. 

The formal induction ceremony for 2014 awardees will take place in February, during National Engineers Week, at the Silicon Valley Engineering Hall of Fame Awards Banquet.

See Chandrakant Patel explain how an idea becomes a product at HP in the video below:

About the Author

Guest_Blogger

Comments

Dear Sir, 

I just happened to run across this article while on the HP website.  My reason for commenting is that I am very impressed with the honor you have received. Congratulations to you.

Sincerely, Virginia Roberts

Impressed HP customer

Dear Virginia,

We are thrilled that you are a happy HP customer. I thank you for the kind words regarding the award, and am humbled.

Best Regards,

Chandrakant

Events
Online Expert Days - 2020
Visit this forum and get the schedules for online Expert Days where you can talk to HPE product experts, R&D and support team members and get answers...
Read more
HPE at 2020 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2020
Read more