Behind the scenes at Labs
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dejan Milojicic is 2013 President-Elect of the IEEE Computer Society

Guest_Blogger

dejan6.jpgJanuary 1, 2013 saw HP Labs researcher Dejan Milojicic taking up his new role as president-elect of the IEEE Computer Society.

A widely-respected expert in distributed systems and high-performance computing in the cloud, Milojicic is a senior researcher and research manager in HP’s  Intelligent Infrastructure Lab and managing director of the Open Cirrus testbed, a global consortium sponsored by HP, Intel, and Yahoo. In addition to his long association with the IEEE Computer Society, Milojicic is an IEEE Fellow and an ACM Distinguished Engineer.

With some 75,000 members, the IEEE Computer Society is the world's leading computing membership organization and the largest of the 38 technical societies that make up the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). It is a major source of publications and technical information, and organizes numerous influential technical conferences in the field.

We spoke with Milojicic about his involvement with the IEEE CS, his new position, and how he’d like to see the society grow over the next few years.

Tell us about your involvement with the IEEE CS up to now.

I’ve been a member of the society for over 20 years now. About fifteen years ago, though, I became increasingly engaged, first speaking at conferences and publishing in magazines and then taking on some leadership roles. I was the Chair of the Technical Committee on Operating Systems and on the editorial board of Magazine on Parallel and Distributed Technologies, which evolved into IEEE Concurrency.  Then, in the late nineties, the society decided to create its first online magazine, Distributed Systems Online, and I was one of the the inaugural editorial members. That eventually led to the creation of IEEE Computing Now, for which I was the founding editor-in-chief. More recently I became founding chair of the Special Technical Communities group and a member of the society’s Board of Governors.

What does being President-elect of the IEEE CS involve?

For the coming year, I’ll be chairing the planning and the constitution and bylaws committees, participating in many other meetings, observing how things are evolving and generally getting up to speed to be president the following year, in 2014.  There’s also another official year as the past-president, where you have a variety of duties including maintaining relationships with organizations both inside the IEEE and beyond. So it’s really a three-year commitment.

What will be your priorities as president-elect and then president? 

One of the reasons I was nominated for this position was my role in activities that have been strategically new and transformational for the society. So in light of that, I’d like to look at the organization as a whole and see whether there are opportunities for holistic improvements. One thing I’d like to get us up to speed on is using new technologies - cloud computing and big data, for example, now allow us to add to what we have been doing in areas like ranking conferences, and understanding and communicating trends revealed by conference proceedings.

How will your experience at HP Labs impact your presidency, do you think?

I’m a little unusual in coming to this position from an industrial laboratory. I’d like to bring my experience with best practices and strategically leading change at HP Labs to the presidency. At the same time I’m still very active in my field of research and plan to remain so. But I want to leverage that on-the-ground knowledge to address our members’ pain points and uncover new opportunities.

How would you like to see the IEEE making an impact over the next few years? 

I think the most important thing is that we continue to make essential contributions to the engineering profession – through our communities, the educational work that we do, and as a venue for knowledge sharing and creation. I think we can continue to expand globally. We could reach out to the BRIC countries, for example, and also to areas like Africa, where our reach is not as strong as it is elsewhere.  And we can keep working to modernize the organization and to maximize the benefits we’re able to bring to individual members, industry, academia and the world as a whole.

About the Author

Guest_Blogger

Comments
Geetha

Congratulations, Dejan!

Events
Online Expert Days - 2020
Visit this forum and get the schedules for online Expert Days where you can talk to HPE product experts, R&D and support team members and get answers...
Read more
HPE at 2020 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2020
Read more