Behind the scenes at Labs
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP’s Niru Kumari receives the ASME EPPD 2014 ‘Women in Engineering’ award

Guest_Blogger

Contributed by Simon Firth, freelance technology journalistNK_Portrait-new_web.jpg

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Electronic and Photonic Packaging Division (EPPD) has awarded its 2014 EPPD Women in Engineering award to HP Labs researcher Niru Kumari.

The award recognizes “a women engineer with significant technical achievements in the area of electronic and photonic packaging demonstrated through papers, patents, or product development.” The EPPD group of the ASME connects US-based engineers working on the analysis, design, manufacturing, testing and operation of any kind of electronic and photonic components devices, equipment, and systems.

“I feel humbled and honored to join the distinguished winners of this award,” says Kumari, a senior research engineer in HP Labs Systems Research group and the group’s lead thermal scientist. An expert in the thermal management of servers, racks, and data centers, Kumari has made key contributions to a number of research projects that later became HP products. Her work on a new cooling subsystem design for liquid-cooled server racks, for example, was crucial to the success of HP’s Apollo 8000 rack system, which received the 2013 InfoWorld Green IT Award for sustainable IT.

“Niru is held in very high regard by everyone here at HP Labs for the significant technical contributions she has made to electronics and photonics packaging,” reports VP and director of Systems Research at HP labs, John Sontag. “She’s also committed to using her skills and knowledge for the benefit of the broader technical community, making her a role model for young engineers in her field, and women engineers especially,” he says.

Kumari joined HP Labs in 2010, after completing her PhD in Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University, and received the ASME’s EPPD Young Engineer Award in 2012. Currently, she is lead thermal designer for key components of HP Labs’ major research project to re-invent computer architecture, known as ‘The Machine,’ working in particular on the micro-scale thermal management of memristor and photonics packaging. She is also a regularly invited speaker at industry and academic conferences, workshops and symposia, helps organize technical society events, and regularly mentors new engineers and summer interns at HP Labs. 

“This award is very much a testimony to quality of work done by everyone in the Systems Research Group at HP Labs,” Kumari suggests. “I’m also really excited to have our community recognize and celebrate diversity in mechanical engineering, which is something I care a lot about and that I think can only benefit the industry in which we all work.”

0 Kudos
About the Author

Guest_Blogger

Comments

Congratulations Niru!

Your leadership is an example for us all!