Behind the scenes at Labs
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer 2014 interns at HP Labs – Tosiron Adegbija

Guest_Blogger

Contrubuted by Simon Firth, freelance technology journalist

Tosiron-Adegbija_2014_web.jpgTosiron Adegbija is almost done with his Ph.D. in electrical and computer engineering at the University of Florida, from which he also received his M.Sc. Before moving to Gainesville, Adegbija studied electrical engineering at the University of Ilorin, in Ilorin, Nigeria, where he also grew up. As the son of two professors and younger brother to two high-achieving siblings, “I’m currently the least educated person in my family, other than my younger brother” he jokes. Adegbija loves to travel, read, and play music in his spare time.

HP: Can you tell us about your Ph.D. thesis research?

My thesis has to do with the dynamic optimization of embedded systems – I work with trying to determine variability in applications and then optimizing the hardware they run on, based on that variability. I’m trying to improve the energy consumption and overall performance of low-powered devices like mobile phones and small computers.

HP: Is that connected to what you’ve been doing here at HP?

It still has to do with low-powered devices, but otherwise it’s pretty different. What I’m working on here has to with the Internet of Things, trying to understand architectures that will enable networks where billions of small sensors are feeding data to us. Should they all send data to a head node, for example, or should they have some intelligence in the sensor that does some of the computational work at the edge of the network? There’s a cost in terms of the power and time needed to share data over a network, so I’m asking what architectures might support putting more computational power into the devices themselves.

HP: How have you been doing that?

I’ve been looking at the micro-architecture characteristics of current low-powered devices and running simulations to see how those characteristics might impact edge-computing and the Internet of Things. We wanted to see what exists right now with state-of-the-art small devices and how they could be used to lower energy consumption and improve execution time and efficiency.    

HP: Any results?

Well, so far we’ve found that existing IoT devices aren’t sufficient for edge-computing – but that’s given us a foundation for future research. I’ve created an architecture model that shows the degree to which different devices could enable edge-computing, based on the applications that they run and how they run them. I’ve created a benchmark suite of key applications that we would expect to see on edge-computing devices that we can run on the model and use to compare future devices as they come to market. It will also help give us a sense of what kind of architectures we need to enable those applications.

HP: Are you going to stay involved with the research once you’re back at college?

We’re talking about what we can do. We’d like to do some evaluations of actual implementations of edge-computing in real use cases, and that’s something I’m hoping to be involved in in some way.  

HP: What in particular has struck you about working at HP Labs?

Well, it’s different from academia in that you are expected to turn up every day! The most rewarding part of the experience has been the opportunity to interact with people with different technical backgrounds and who are highly respected in their fields. Even interacting with the other interns, who come from a real diversity of places, has been great.  It’s also taught me how to communicate about my work with people who are not in my field, which has been a really good learning experience.

HP: What are you thinking you might do after your Ph.D.?

I’m interested in either academia or industry research, so this perspective has been very useful. One thing I’ve learned here is that it doesn’t have to be an either/or decision. There are ways you can keep your feet in both worlds.

0 Kudos
About the Author

Guest_Blogger

Comments

What out world, Tosiron will be a force to be reckoned with!

Sir,I am from Inida.I am currently in my forth year,pursuing engineering in electronics and instrumentation and want to do a Summer Internship at the HP.
I want to work with embedded systems and IoT.
What are the procedures for applying? And am I eligible?

martina_trucco

Hi Arnali,

Thanks for your interest in pursuing a summer internship at HP Labs. While this year's summer internships are complete, you can view available openings next year in the spring by visiting the Careers section of our website (http://www.hpl.hp.com/careers/job-openings/) or the Jobs section of our HP website: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/jobs/index.html 

Thanks,

Martina, HP Labs

camela

Hey

I am camela oben, a grad studen at Park University doing my MBA in Finance, i would very much like to do a summer Internship at HP. Would very much love to hear from you!

Events
Online Expert Days - 2020
Visit this forum and get the schedules for online Expert Days where you can talk to HPE product experts, R&D and support team members and get answers...
Read more
HPE at 2020 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2020
Read more