BladeSystem - General
1748128 Members
3382 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1 of 2 blades (BL460c G1) cannot connect to DVD drive.

Bozzme

1 of 2 blades (BL460c G1) cannot connect to DVD drive.

We have a C3000 Enclosure with two BL460c G1 Blades. I am in the Onboard Administrator under Enclosure Information, Enclosure Settings, DVD Drive. I can see the Device list which shows both Bays in the enclosure that currently have GL460c G1's running.

Server1 in Bay 1 can connect just fine to the DVD. When I try to connect Server2 in Bay 5, I notice the ILO DVD status is "unknown" When I try to connect the DVD to Server2 it remains disconnected. However I am able to disconnect and connect the DVD to Server1 (and use the DVD) just fine on Server1.

Both Server1 and Server2 have the same GL460c G1 ROM version l15 01/24/2008

Since the drive can be connected and does work with Server1, I am puzzled as to why I cannot connect Server2 to the DVD--I tried disconnecting server1 from the DVD and still server2 will not connect to the DVD drive.
6 REPLIES 6
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Re: 1 of 2 blades (BL460c G1) cannot connect to DVD drive.

Is the iLO firmware the same on both servers?

You could try reseting the iLO. Either by:
upgrading/downgrading firmware
changing some of the settings
Bozzme

Thank you for your response. The ILO firmware on both servers is the same: 1.43 Dec 12 2007. You mentioned possibly changing some other settings? Anything in particular?
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Do you have the option to try the blade in a different bay?

Dave
Bozzme

Thank you. I agree that seems like the next step. I can try to arrange that and I'll post what happens.
Bozzme

This may not make sense on the first read. The blade server that was unable to connect to the dvd drive---was lacking an IP Address for iLO (integrated lights out). It had 0.0.0.0 as it's IP. I spoke to HP Blade support on this and the explanation I was given is that the blade enclosure does not "know" to request an iLo dhcp address for each and every blade inside of it, the enclosure just requests one iLo dhcp address from the dhcp server. Therefore, the blade in Bay1 (server1) was using the only dhcp assigned ip address for iLO that the enclosure had---and requested from the dhcp server. Bay5 (server2) was left with no dhcp address. As soon as we assigned a static IP address for ilo for the troubled blade Bay5 (server2)--it was able to connect to the DVD. So in Onboard Administrator: under Enclosure Information, Enclosure Settings, Enclosure Bay IP addressing we had to type in a static IP address for bay5 (server2), check the check box next to that blank that had the static ip address and hit apply. After that we could connect the DVD drive. We also filled in the subnet mask and gateway under "shared device settings" on that same screen. Not entirely sure that step was necessary, but...we did it. Thank you all for your responses
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

well ..the OA uses Virtual media to connect DVD drive and that needs networking.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi