1753481 Members
4600 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3G SAS blade switch

Elox
Occasional Advisor

3G SAS blade switch

I had a firmware upgrade go bad, so I'm trying to get my blade switch RMA:ed. I am however having trouble finding the warranty information on the unit due to none of my serials seem to work. Does anyone know which format to use on these at the warranty checker tool?

Also, does anyone know the replacement part number for the controller board on the switch, it's not giving me much info on the hp part surfer site.
7 REPLIES 7
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Doesnt the OA tell you the serial number or is it so dead?
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Here is a copy of the information you'd see from within the OA GUI for a 3 Gb SAS switch which shows the serial and spare part nr.

HTH

Kris

Information Product Name 3Gb SAS Switch
Management IP Address 169.254.0.203
Management URL /interconnect3/
User Assigned Name VSM-001F2xxxxxx
Part Number AJ865A
Spare Part Number 451789-001
Serial Number SGAxxxxxxx
Type SAS
Manufacturer HP
Temperature Sensor Present
Firmware Version 2.2.4.0
Elox
Occasional Advisor

Did try that, information given;

Product Name HP 3G SAS BL SWH
Management IP Address 169.254.0.206
Management URL /interconnect6/
User Assigned Name (none)
Part Number 451352-B21
Spare Part Number 451789-001
Serial Number 0000000000 (yes, all zeros)
Type SAS
Manufacturer HP
Temperature Sensor Present
(no bios version info reported)

I was in contact with the local hp support (Swedish), sadly they were not that much help. The Danish support hinted that the C7000 enclosures warranty might cover the interconnect, or if they could tie it to the MDS600s warranty. Any of you heard about this?
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Elox,

did you bought the SAS switch together with the enclosure ? If you have some kind of proof of purchase then there should be no issue to warranty replace the SAS switch.

If it is really completely failed, remove it from the enclosure and there should be a white label on the SAS interconnect switch with its prodnr. and serialnr, at least it is on most interconnect modules (not sure the SAS switch has it but it should also).

I guess you tried all other obvious things like remove the switch and re-insert in the bay again. Does the SAS manager not allow to reflash firmware again i.e.?

You could run the 'show interconnect info x' (x = bay number) command if you telnet into the OA but this will likely show the same issue.

You could also try to login to that switch via the CLI. Telnet to the OA first and run the command 'connect interconnect x' and supply the OA Administrator user and password.
The command 'reset hardware' will do a simmilar thing like what you need to do after a firmware upgrade (via the OA GUI) but physicall removal does all of this also obviously.
The syslogfile does not seem to contain the serialnr either....

HTH

Kris

Elox
Occasional Advisor

We had the blade servers as a backup solution, at a data center in the US, which went bankrupt. So we had them send all the stuff over. Thing was that they bought the stuff for us since we grew over time. So I have nothing but monthly co-location receipts.

I was updating all the servers firmware up-to-date to ship them out again to another data center when the bad flash got the switch.

It does try to load the SAS manager, and after ~20-30 minute initialization period it gives you a warning about a failed flash and that you can continue to configure the switch by "clicking continue". If you click, it will start loading libraries and then give you a "timeout to http server" error. After that it will load again, you have to reset or power off, and wait for ~20-30 mins for your next try.

The labels on the switch does not show up any information on the hp warranty tool. And support couldn't find anything of them either (two stickers, tried all combinations).

Picture of switch:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7505/dscn0237h.jpg

Elox
Occasional Advisor

Should be: "After that it will _NOT_ load again"

Michael Bunker
Frequent Advisor

Elox,
After looking at your switch, it is not a production unit. The board color (PCB solder mask) is brown and should be green. The non-green solder mask colors are typical during proto-type phases. This would also explain why the serial number is all 0's. I P3 mark probably represent proto-3. I would not recommend using this board.