BladeSystem - General
1748244 Members
3844 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 8 GB SFP+ in 4 GB fibre-channel pass-thru module supported?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

8 GB SFP+ in 4 GB fibre-channel pass-thru module supported?

Dear collegues,

I got a C7000 which includes two 16 port 4 GB fibre-channel pass-thru modules (403626-B21). I'm sure that this interconnect modules came with 8 GB SFP+ modules, but I can't find any hint what types of SFP+ modules are supported in this module.

I can't get a working link with two Brocade 300 switches (DELL OEM). The switches report "no sync" on the connected ports. Even if I set both sides to 4 GB or 8 GB the link isn't getting a sync. A test basis inserted HP 4/16 FC switch with 4 GB SFPs got a 4 G link. I changed SFPs and cables, but I had no luck. HP support (1st level...) in Sofia is telling me that this isn't supported. I'm really sure that the pass-thru module came with 8 GB SFP+ modules, because I didn't ordered additional SFP+ modules and it's fully equiped with 8 GB SFP+ modules...

My question: What type of SFP+ modules are shipped with the 4 GB pass-thru modules and does HP support 8 GB SFP+ modules in the 4 GB pass-thru module?

Thanks for advice!

Best regards,
Patrick
4 REPLIES 4
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

As far as I know, 8Gb SFP's will sync with 2, 4 and 8Gb connections.  Although my experience is with switches, not pass-thru modules which could be very different.

On the switch side did you try to set the speed at 4Gb instead of letting it try to auto-negioate?

Lastly, check to see if firmware on the PassThru module can be updated.   If your OA F/W is current (3.6+) click on Rack Firmware from within the OA and see if the Pass Thru modules have an Available Firmware Version that is higher than the Current.  If so, you need to access the OA CLI and push the update with the 'update device' command.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Robert,

thanks for your reply. Yes, a 8 Gb SFP+ can sync with 2, 4 and 8 Gb. In the meantime a collegue of mine was able to get a working 4 Gb Link between the pass-thru module and a Brocade 300, both with 8 Gb SFP+.

Unfortunately is nobody at HP is able to show me a document, which lists the supported SFP(+) modules for the pass-thru modules. It seems that HP is shipping the modules with 8 Gb SFP+, but the module limits the SFPs to 4 Gb.

Very disappointing. DELL provides 8 Gb pass-thru modules. HP only embedded switches and Virtual Connect. That's not an advantage on the market.

Best regards,
Patrick
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately HP is doing a lot of dissapointing things these days.

Glad you were able to at least get connectivity.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor
Solution

A colleague tried a HP B-Series 8/8, but he had no luck. The 4 Gb Fibre Channel Pass-Thru Module works max with 4 Gb. The "solution" is: Replace them with 8/12c switches.

Best regards,
Patrick