4706 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ACTIVATE ETHERNET PORT IN BLADES...

Mauricio Estacio
Occasional Contributor

ACTIVATE ETHERNET PORT IN BLADES...

Hi...
I have a blade system c7000 with 4 blades...
in each blade I have installed windows server 2008, in each server I can see 10 network interface but 9 are unpluged, how can activate it?
5 REPLIES 5
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Which model and generation of blades? For example BL460 G1? BL460 G6? etc. Also, from the count you give, I would guess there are add-on mezzanine cards installed, but can you confirm that?

In the back of the c7000 chassis, how many, and what type of I/O modules do you have installed, and into which slots?

The wires from the core network interfaces and from add-on cards run through the backplane of the c7000 chassis to different I/O bays at the back of the chassis. Those I/O bays must be populated with a suitable I/O module for there to be connectivity from the blade to the outside world via those network ports.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Rick is correct.

Every c-class blade has integrated NIC controllers, so if you do have Ethernet modules in interconnect bays 1 & 2 then any blade should have NIC connectivity thru these Ethernet modules.
Otherwise you need to tell us what add-on mezz Ethernet cards you have added and (1) what mezz slot the card is in (the OA will tell you this) and where you have Ethernet modules installed in the back (Interconnect bays 1-8).
Mauricio Estacio
Occasional Contributor

ok... the model blade is HP Proliant BL460C G6, in the bay one there is a HP VC Flex-10 enet module, each server can see 8 interface, no 10, I just want to know how to export active interface to the OS.
In the HP VC Flex-10 enet module there is only one SFP conected to the LAN
rick jones
Honored Contributor

You are probably seeing the shadows of Flex-NICs not actually enabled. The core, dual-port NIC in the BL460 G6 (aka the NC532i or "internal" version of the NC532m) is a dual-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet interface where each of the two ports can be subdivided into up to four "flex-nics" with defined bandwidth allocation between them (sharing the 10 gigabits). That subdivision is not enabled by default, but some of its underpinnings - the PCIe virtual functions - are visible to the OS and can appear as available interfaces.

One port of the NC532i routes to I/O bay 1. The other port of the NC532i (you may hear the term LOM - LAN On Motherboard) routes to I/O bay 2.

So, if you have just the one Flex-10 I/O module in bay 1, the behaviour your see is expected. You can if you want enable the flex NICs on the one port via the VC module (IIRC, I have to confess I've not yet tried the flex-10 portion of the functionality of the NC532i/m) if you want to enable the second port and/or its flex-NICs you must install an additional Flex-10 I/O module into I/O Bay 2 of the c7000 chassis.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Mauricio,
Everything above is correct apart from Ricks last paragraph. As you are seing 8 NICs you must have both VC Flex-10s.

What you need to do.
1. Turn off the blade.
2. Edit the VC profile, go into the screen where it shows the NICs in the profile. Click the option to add NICs till the total is qty 8.
3. Present VC networks to your NICs.
4. Apply the profile.
5. Turn the blade on.