108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Acceptable to have blades with different OS in same enclosure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Wolf_3
Valued Contributor

Acceptable to have blades with different OS in same enclosure

Hello, we have many c7000 enclosures housing both Proliant and Integrity blade servers. Is there any official HP recommendation or best practice for the blade OS in a single enclosure. For example, is it better to keep all the Windows blades in one enclosure and all Unix/Linux blades in a different enclosure. I thought I recall an HP rep mentioning it was better to keep the OS of blades in a enclosure the same.

Any official HP documentation on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Tom
3 REPLIES 3
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Nope, no limitation at all, either for technical reasons or by HP policy.
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Tom-
The only relevance to OS on the enclosure level is the ICE licensing you may have on the c7000. HP marketed two versions of the ICE - for Windows and for Linux. The only difference between the two would be the way the GUI interface presents itself - but make no mistake, the versions work for either OS, and it is NO problem to mix them.
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Tom

One possible advantage of housing all Integrity/Proliant's together would be for administration purposes. Certainly for firmware upgrades - I recall reading release notes where fixes are specific to server flavours. You may choose to upgrade an OA for an enclosure full of proliants if there is a specific fix for proliants in that release.

No rules though.