Did you mean: 

Adding 4 new VC-Eth modules to existing production VC Domain

SOLVED
Go to solution
Manolis Maliakas
Occasional Contributor

Adding 4 new VC-Eth modules to existing production VC Domain

hello

we have 4x C7000 Blade Enclosures connected in 2 different Virtual Connect Domain. 2x C7000 in the first VC Domain and 2x C7000 in the second VC Domain

we want to destroy the second VC Domain and add the 2x C7000 Blade Enclosures to the first VC Domain.

What is the recommended procedure to avoid any outage to existing servers in the first VC Domain??

thanks
3 REPLIES
The Brit
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Adding 4 new VC-Eth modules to existing production VC Domain

Hi Manolis,
I dont think this is that difficult (once you accept that the second VC domain must be sacrificed).

Suggested process.

1. Shutdown 2nd Domain.
2. Connect the stacking links from Enclosure 3 to the primary domain.
3. On the primary domain, import the new enclosure.
4. Repeat the process for enclosure 4.

I dont think this involves any outages, (providing you are not messing with existing stacking links). If you are messing with the existing stacking links, the it will depend on your interconnect configuration.

Although, this should not involve communications outages, it would probably be wise to do it during a quiet period, (if not a maintenance window) Anyone who has been working with these systems any length of time knows there are no guarantees.

You didn't mention your firmware levels but that is also a consideration. The more recent, the better.

Let us know how it goes.
Manolis Maliakas
Occasional Contributor

one last remark what do you mean by : shuting down the second vc domain. how can i do that?

thanks for the answer
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Basically, just make sure that there is nothing running in the second enclosure. When you import the second enclosure into your primary domain the primary VC config will be written into the vc modules in the second enclosure, overwriting anything that was there previously.

I dont think there is any command to be executed to "shutdown" the second enclosure.

Dave.