5101 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding a 1/10Gb VC-Enet Module to an existing c7000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Goodrich_1

Adding a 1/10Gb VC-Enet Module to an existing c7000

We have two c7000s and would like to increse our nic port density for use with hyper-v.

We currently have two HP 1/10Gb VC-Enet Modules in each chassie. One c7000 has the FC module in slot 3 and 4. I'm buying two more FC's for the other chassie and adding a dual port nic mezz card to my blades.

I have two HP 1/10Gb VC-Enet Modules in hand. Do I need to add them to slots 5 and 6 on one c7000 and purchase two more or can I add one to slot 5 in both chassies and get the functionality of the mezz nic card?
8 REPLIES 8
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Sure, but with only one module / enc You will get only half of the mezz ports in to use.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Rob Goodrich_1

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought but needed to make sure I could run the three EtherConnects with out issues.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi Rob,
I should say that this is not a recommended configuration.

With a module in only Bay 5 (and not Bay 6), as has already been pointed out, you will only be able to use 1 NIC port from your MEZZ card.

In addition, it makes it difficult to set up any kind of NIC Teaming, which will of course affect your redundancy in the event that the VC module in bay 5 dies.

Dave.
Rob Goodrich_1

Exactly right. Since the 1/10g is not a front line device anymore I can get them fairly cheap and will purchase two.

Thank you for the advice!
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

remember to buy cx-4 cables for stacking. You need to connect inc bay5 to bay1 and bay6 to bay2

Rob Goodrich_1

Is that a must-have for the system to work?

I thought it was a bonus to have all NICs accessable to all the EtherConnects but not mandatory. The mezz card would be assigned to slots 5 and 6 not needing to be able to route through slots 1 and 2.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

The VCM ( virtual connect manager) needs to have access to all VC-enet modules. So Yes, You need to stack the modules. You do not have to use CX-4, You can use normal RJ-45 port too.

Rob Goodrich_1

Thanks. I'll make sure I get that.