BladeSystem - General
1752777 Members
6072 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Are G6 blades allocated/consume roughly four time the power of G1 blades?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael1
Advisor

Are G6 blades allocated/consume roughly four time the power of G1 blades?

Hi,

Following on from the query concerning "Does removing an OA from a c7000 result in the G6 blades going on full power?" I notice that our G6 (507780-B21) blade here has a power allocation of 509W when active yet our G1 (461604-B21) blades are allocated respectively 147W and 158W when active. I found these details in the OA under Devices Bays and then looking at the status of each individual blade. Is it correct for the G6 blade to be consuming nearly four times the power of a G1 blade? Is there a setting that could reduce this? I feel I must be doing something wrong as given that most companies are claiming environmental reasons for new features that HP could launch a "better" product yet it consumes far, far more power than its predecessor. What is the expected power allocation for a G6 blade?

Overall this has implications for our customer as we have four 2250W power supplies and had planned on using a 2+2 redundancy on 10 blades. For 10 active G6 blades a total of ~5000W would be required. 2+2 redundancy would only guarantee 4500W. This was not an issue with G1 blades but clearly is with G6 blades if they are allocated 500W each in the OA. Is this allocation of 500W correct for G6 blades given that G1 blades were allocated 150W?

-Michael

4 REPLIES 4
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: Are G6 blades allocated/consume roughly four time the power of G1 blades?

Hi,

Normally it should be the other way around... I have a mix of G1 and G6 blades... The G1 blades are around 400-500W; the G6 are around 200W...

Are your firmware's up-to-date?

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

I've got G7's (with Quad/96GB) at about 250 and Hex/192GB at 320.
Michael1
Advisor

Thanks for the replies.

I found a solution but does anyone know why this solution works? In short I set the blade server name from 'host is unnamed' to 'G6-blade1', rebooted the blade and now that blade has power allocation of 161W. It has stayed at that for the last hour. Previous reboots kept the power at ~500W. 

The G6 server name is set by launching the web user interface and then Administration->Access->Options. The default entry here is 'host is unnamed' for G6 blades while G1 blades all have a unique string of letters and numbers.

While I'm relieved to have a solution I'd be more relieved to know why this works?

-Michael

Michael1
Advisor
Solution

HP just told me that I would have got the same result by just resetting the blade in the iLO2 diagnostics screen. This would have reset the iLO which was the solution. This also could be done by changing the hostname and rebooting the blade. The issue was something to do with the iLO and OA not communicating properly. Hence because of the bad communication the OA didn't really know what power to allocate to the blade and just allocated the maximum.