3552 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL 460c G6 Blades on a C7000 Enclosure

DavidA
Occasional Advisor

BL 460c G6 Blades on a C7000 Enclosure

Hi

I have recently installed 2 new BL 460c G6 blades into our C7000 chassis which are already occupied with 4 BL460c G1's.

The blades have ESX 3.5 U4 installed and appear to be functioning fine. However in the C7000 Onboard Administrator, the 2 G6 blades picture dont appear correctly. instead of a pictre of the blade I get a grey square with the only indicator on them being the power supply button.

I have tried taking the both blades out and re-inserting them thinking maybe it may not have connected correctly the first time, but this does not make any difference.

I have recently updated the OA firmware to Ver 2.80 and the G6's have the latest firmware - I24 10/01/2009 (9th Dec 2009). I beleive that all my blades and chassis hardware comply with the C7000 compatibility matrix.

I have not contacted HP support yet but thought I would post on here first to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

Apart from that, everything appears to be functioning normally...

I have attached image to describe the symptons...

16 REPLIES 16
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hi.

Does the OA have connectivity with the ILO's of the servers that are grey?

what version of ILO FW do you use for the servers in question?
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmm david try them in diff slots and other blade in these slots to cross verify

if issue is the blade and not the slot physically reinsert the oa , both of them 1 at a time if you have 2

if you still have the issue

as advised above check ilo firmware and sys board firmware also comply with matrix..

as a last step
for these two servers also ensure their serial number in the bios is precisely the same on the actual system board..
The Brit
Honored Contributor

I am assuming a typo in the original post and that the OA firmware is actually at 2.60.

I don't think that there is a 2.80 version of OA firmware (yet).

Regarding the issue.

I would go under Enclosure Settings > Configuration Scripts and generate an Inventory report for the enclosure. Then skip down ~2/3 of the way to the individual server information. Check that all of the data on the new server "makes sense" and is consistent with what is listed for your older servers.

I recently had an issue where some garbage in the Serial Number field caused none of the servers to be displayed in OA.

Dave.
DavidA
Occasional Advisor

Hi Cederberg

You are right about the firmware - too many firmwre numebrs to remember in my job! The firmware for the OA is 2.60 and the Firmware for the ILO on each G6 servers is 1.80

I can connected to each of the server's ILO without any dramas :)
DavidA
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mark

Yes I'll try that and see how I go...

Thanks
DavidA
Occasional Advisor

Hi The Brit

I'll also try this and get back to you all... It may take a day or so before I can do it

Thanks everyone for their contribution..
DavidA
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I generated a Inventory Report, everything appears to be consistent, ie - serial numbers are displayed correctly. The only item that it cannot define is the Part Number of the blade - this shows up as unknown...

I also tried relocating one of the affected blades across from Bay 7 to Bay 8 and generated the same thing...
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Mornin' David,

I dont really know if this is the case, however it would seem feasible that the OA firmware may be using the Part # to select the correct graphic to display in the topology diagram. Without the part #, it displays nothing (who knows ??)

I also dont know if this is the case, however it might be possible to manually enter the appropriate part # in the BIOS. I am sure that one of the Proliant guys will be able to tell us.

Dave.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Yes you can modify the part number in RBSU (BIOS). Edit the field for "product ID" so that it matches the 6-3 number on the blade. Although I have never heard that this is how the enclosure determines the graphic, it is definitely an interesting idea.