108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL260C and VMware

SOLVED
Go to solution
TClark

BL260C and VMware

Hi,

Apologies if this is a newbie question - but we're trying to get ESXi installed on a BL260c blade - but it keeps showing our RAID 1 array as 2 separate disks at the install stage.

I've tried installing VMware straight from vmware.com and also the "VMware ESXi 4.0 from HP - ESXi HD/USB/SD Image Installer" distro on the HP site - but both do the same thing. The boot screen shows that the disks are setup correctly as a RAID 1, but VMware sees them as 2 disks.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
3 REPLIES 3
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

I dont know the answer... but I'm wondering if ESXi has driver support for the SATA array controller.
Bill Brothers_1

I spent a great deal of time trying to get the VMWare ESX3.5 installed on the SATA controller and was never totally successful. I finally gave in ran without RAID. I have a tickler to go back and try using the linux drivers for the non-embedded version of ESX. Enabling RAID in the BIOS makes the disks non-visible to the 3.5.2 installer. I think it is possible to resolve but I just ran out of time to work through it. This is no different than any other linux install with "foreign" disk control.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It annoys the pig and wastes your time.
Daniel Bowers
Trusted Contributor
Solution

ESX doesn't support the controller in "RAID" mode. It only supports the controller in SATA (non-RAID) mode.

The "Embedded SATA RAID Controller" on the BL260c G5 uses the SATA controller on the Intel ICH9R chipset, with a firmware-based RAID stack. VMWare doesn't support that; there's a short discussion about that here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1157785