1752288 Members
4316 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL45p-G1 with 4p-16GB RAM memory distribution

it61066
Frequent Advisor

BL45p-G1 with 4p-16GB RAM memory distribution

I have 4 BL45p G1 blade servers with 16GB memory each installed in the following manner: p1-1GB, p2-1GB, p3-6GB, p4-8GB (badly installed...!). Oracle RAC 10g is installed on two servers and application on the two servers.
Windows 2003-sp1 installed on all servers.
1-Does anyone has an idea about the memory use if are installed in this way?
2-Should every processor has the same memory amount installed for it (4GB per processor)?

I am asking due to a memory dump that occurs intermittently on the RAC servers (both of them).
Thanks
HPE ASE Proliant-Synergy & Storage Certified Engineer
Clustering & Virtualization Support (Microsoft & Vmware)

3 REPLIES 3
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: BL45p-G1 with 4p-16GB RAM memory distribution

hi

I checked documentation and nothing says that the amount of memory must be the same like you say for instance 4 GB for each processor

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12323_na/12323_na.HTML#Memory

but it says that that DIMMS installed must be identical so I ask you about that p3 = 6GB I don't think there are 3 GB memory modules....?

can you check that configuration for P3

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

>>1-Does anyone has an idea about the memory use if are installed in this way?

Each processor has a built-in memory controller and accesses its corresponding memory accordingly. However the other processors can access the memory withthe use of the AMD HyperTransport technology. So all CPUs have access to the memory, but the one directly mapped to the memory has the fastest access to it.

2-Should every processor has the same memory amount installed for it (4GB per processor)? - No, your config seems ok. In such config normally processes are assigned to a specified CPU.

Note that if for CPU 3 you have 2x 2Gb and 2 x 1GB, the 1GB must be before the 2GB if the 2GB DIMMs are not dual-ranked...

Regards
it61066
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all for your explanations.
HPE ASE Proliant-Synergy & Storage Certified Engineer
Clustering & Virtualization Support (Microsoft & Vmware)