108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460c Firmware Update Using iLO Fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thomas Dietrich
Frequent Advisor

BL460c Firmware Update Using iLO Fails

I've got a c3000 chassis with 4 BL460c blades installed. After our updates using firmware update DVD 9.10 we began experiencing issues with the OA losing communication with iLO on the blades and causing the environment to freeze. That would require a trip on-site to physically remove each blade from the chassis and then re-seat. Boot it up and it worked again for a month.

Working with HP support I've been updating to new firmware update DVD 9.20. After repeated failures I finally got the updated BIOS and iLO installed using Integrated Remote Console and attaching the ISO media through iLO onto 2 of my blades, but the last 2 just won't take the newest ISO image.

Anybody else seeing problems using the firmware update DVD's ISO file mounted through iLO? Any workaround other than a trip on-site with a physical DVD?
5 REPLIES 5
Thomas Dietrich
Frequent Advisor

I should have provided more details about the failure. It boots the DVD ISO and allows me to select the Auto Update mode. It completes the first portion and detects the environment, albeit very slowly. It then seems to hang during the Inventory Progress - Step 1 of 3 - Build Inventory of Available Updates. I can leave the server there for a day and it won't move on. If I hit Cancel it asks if I really want to cancel. I can hit no and go back to waiting for hours more, or hit yes and reboot the server, and try the process again hoping it will be the lucky time that it finally takes the update.
Andras Ordogh
Valued Contributor
Solution

hello,

try the new version of fw dvd.
FW 9.20B
Fixes:
The HP Smart Update Firmware DVD 9.20(B) corrects an issue found only in Automatic mode where the update hangs at Stage 1 of 3 in the inventory process.

you can downlod from:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3808910&swItem=MTX-98ce7a50a19a4d4994aaad8d0e&prodNameId=3808911&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=5

andras
Thomas Dietrich
Frequent Advisor

Of course I should have checked for a new firmware DVD. After all, 9.20 came out just 2 days after I applied 9.10. And now it looks like 9.20(b) has been released between my download date and my install date!

Trying the new ISO now. I'll give you the points if it works!

Thanks,
Tom
Thomas Dietrich
Frequent Advisor

The new DVD ISO image was the solution. Worked on both of the remaining blades.

Thanks!
Tom
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Thomas,
Know that you can physically remove the blade from the enclosue via CLI...
Just connect via Putty to the OA and use the command "resat bay x" where bay is the number of the slot of the concerned blade...
It makes the fuse of the blade trip which is the same result like pulling out the blade and putting it back in... Saves you at least the trip to the server room...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !