Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BL460c G7 iLO3 Not Contactable When Blade Moved

Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

BL460c G7 iLO3 Not Contactable When Blade Moved

Hi all

I have two BL460c G7 blades, which were built in a seperate build enclosure. When completed, they were then placed into one of our live enclosures. As soon as they were deployed, the iLO refused to pick up an address from the enclosure and the OA contains incomplete information for them.

I then moved the blades to two other bays in the same live enclosure, and they work fine. Every time I replace them in their origonal live bays, the iLO doesn't pick up IP addressing and the OA can't get various bits of info from the blade.

I thought this pointed to a problem with the bays, so I upgraded the OA firmware to the latest (v3.30). This had the effect of knocking the iLO3's offline for the only two other G7's in the enclosure as well as not fixing the issue with the origonal iLOs.

Next step was to upgrade the iLO firmware (the two origonaly affected were on v1.16 and the two that were affected by the OA firmware upgrade are on v1.15). Firmware has now been upgraded to v1.20, but still exactly the same problem persists.

Is there some unknown (to me) profile information that has been set somewhere on the iLO that is cached and needs blowing away? Anyone know of any other reason this would happen?

Cheers in advance

Andy
5 REPLIES
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

Re: BL460c G7 iLO3 Not Contactable When Blade Moved

This sounds similar to something we've seen before and our fix is to get someone physically infront of the devices with the blade KVM cable & watch the device POST, entering the iLO setup facililty & sorting out the config.

Not a great solution when supporting remote sites.

Regards,
Julian.
Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

I don't think we have a KVM / dongle available at the remote site in question, but I'll check that out if I can.

If that's the case though, why would upgrading the OA firmware to the latest and greatest screw up the remaining iLO3s?
JD-WFH
Advisor

What is the Virtual Connect firmware revision? That matters as well. It requires you to be above v3, but I recommend 3.17, as it is good code and gets around the DNS problems in versions 3.15 and earlier.
Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

We're not using Virtual Connect switches in our enclosures.

We have 6 x GbE2c ethernet blade switches and 2 x Brocade 4/24 SAN switches.
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

Have you contacted HP?

bv
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer