108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BL460c Gen 8 & 6gb SAS Switch issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Colin Benson
Advisor

BL460c Gen 8 & 6gb SAS Switch issues

I have a new Gen8 blade installed alongside 3 Gen7 blade servers.

Port mapping is showing the P721m controller as being mapped in the same manner as the other 3 blades however I am not able to see my new server in the host listing on the P2000 G3 disk unit.

All required firmwares have been performed, SAS switch is 3.1.3.0 P2000 has the latest firmware and the blade has been fully updated, however on the management console of the SAS switch it shows the blade as being offline and does not detect any SAS controllers - I'm struggling to see where I am going wrong getting this server presented correctly.

screenshot attached

7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Screenshot is not attached.

From 6Gb SAS User Guide

"When using P721m controllers, the 6Gb SAS BL Switch cannot be installed in c7000 interconnect bays 3 and 4. (The
P721m controller cannot be installed in server expansion slot 1, which maps to interconnect bays 3 and 4."

After that you also need to create zones and add servers in the zones, inside VSM.

Colin Benson
Advisor

sorry not sure why that isn't attached will try again.

switches are in bays 5 & 6 in the C7000, port mapping looks good on the blade management console, it's just within the SAS switch management console itself the blade is showing as offline and it is not presenting any SAS connectors to the switch - very puzzled.

Colin Benson
Advisor

screenshots hopefully...

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Could it be related to position of the blade server in the chassi? If you have free bays perhaps you can try it somewhere else.

Perhaps the blade has to have an OS booted for it to show up?

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Do you have 1 or 2 CPU's?

You must have CPU 2 installed, if you need to use mezz 2!

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14208_div/14208_div.html

This is due to the new CPU architecture, the PCIe bus is on-die.

You will see, that not all PCI slots in new servers, is useble with 1 CPU only. Just like the memory bus on AMD for a long time.

on the BL460 Gen8, mezz 1 is connected to CPU 1, and mezz 2 is connected to CPU 2.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

Colin Benson
Advisor

thanks for the pointer in the end it was something as simple as the slot the server was installed into...

Moved from Bay4 to Bay9 and the server appeared online on the SAS switch and allowed storage to be presented.

Would love to know how those algorithms work!!

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Arh OK :)

Could be a damaged connector.

What Algorithms?

Do you mean how the connections are made?

Let me know what you would love to know, and I will try to explain.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo