1753756 Members
4750 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL460c NICs

David Heiert
Advisor

BL460c NICs

I have a blade that has no NICs enabled on the mezzanine. I cannot figure out how to do it.

This is in a c7000 chassis and the port mapping shows:
"This mezzanine device does not have rear I/O connectivity"

Is there something wrong with the hardware or is it some setting I am missing?
5 REPLIES 5
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Re: BL460c NICs

Hi David,

What interconnect modules do you have installed in this enclosure, and in which slots are they installed?

If you have a NIC in blade mezzanine slot 1, I/O will leave the enclosure through interconnects 3 & 4.
If you have a NIC in blade mezzanine slot 2, I/O will leave the enclosure through interconnects 5,6,7, & 8... depending on the type of card.
If you have a NIC in blade mezzanine slot 3, I/O will leave the enclosure through interconnects 5,6,7, & 8... depending on the type of card.

Check this link:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12805_na/12805_na.HTML

and scroll down to the "c7000 Port Mapping" section.

good luck, if you appreciate the answers we appreciate the points!
David Heiert
Advisor

I have 8 other blades in here that work just fine. There are 2 Ethernet interconnects in 1 and 2 and 2 FC's in 3 and 4. This blade is in slot 1 now but does not even see the Ethernet IC.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi David,

you could always try to move this blade into another free server bay, if that still does not help to recognize the embedded network ports on that blade server, then most likely the blade has a hardware defect.

Remove any mezzanine card (if any) from the blade also and try again, at least the embedded network ports should map to the Ethernat IC 1 and 2, again if that fails, to me it looks like that blade simply has a H/W issue.

HTH

Kris

David Heiert
Advisor

I suspect the HW as well, but HP insists that it is the combination of firmware that we are running on the chassis and the blades themselves. I have multiple blades with issues, but I have one that is working in this chassis that is an exact match on version with the failing one.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

yeah, forgot to ask about server model/generation and the OA firmware levels etc, but this to me looks just like a H/W issue on that particualr blade. With the good example you have (same blade model with same rev's on it and working fine in same blade enclosure), HP should check out the H/W of the suspected bad blade and most likely swap out the systemboard of that blade.

Kris