108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460c PMC Firmware upgrade 0.5 > 3.4 error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dwayne Dibbley
Advisor

BL460c PMC Firmware upgrade 0.5 > 3.4 error

90% of our BL460c G1's have PMC firmware version 0.5, when running the version control agent it reports that it should be upgraded with a yellow triangle. when running the update cp011625.exe it reports that the firmware cannot be upgraded. searching around the forum it mentions a few problems with 0.7 and upgrading and to remove the blade from the enclosure to reset and try running from the firmware cd, in the debug console on the firmware i try to apply the update and it still reports not supported.

Question is can 0.5 be upgraded as currently all servers with this firmware show as degraded in the version control manager.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
The Brit
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Dwayne,
The simple answer is No!

Version 0.5 of the PMC firmware has no upgrade path. If we believe HP, then this version does not require upgrade.

I have a couple of blades which are still on Version 0.5, and the show up as fine in the OA "System Status" display.

I dont use the version control agent.

What version of OA firmware are you at??

Dave.
Dwayne Dibbley
Advisor

OA firmware 2.6

Thanks
Dwayne Dibbley
Advisor

Managed to get the firmware updated to 3.4d

booted the firmware cd, entered the debug window, inserted a usb key with the scexe file on it. mounted the key and run with sh cpoxxxx.scexe --disaster-recovery and reported current version 0.5 would i like to upgrade selected yes and ............ upgraded, i then reset the bay and checked in the vc agent that it reports v 3.4

Phew

Thanks
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi Dwayne,
Glad to hear that the 3.4d firmware worked for you. It will probably raise a few eyebrows on this forum since even the FW documentations says it shouldn't work. Vis.

"This firmware update can only be applied if your Power Management Controller Firmware is version .6 or later. The current Power Management Controller firmware version will be identified and displayed when executing this upgrade on your system. If the current Power Management Controller Firmware version on your system is prior to .6 then you will receive a message indicating that this firmware update is not supported on your system."

If your process worked, it might lead to a few other people trying it out. (that "0.5" just iritates the crap out of me)

Dave.
Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

Raised eyebrows is right... everyone I've talked to at HP support told me there is no upgrade path from the 0.5 version.