4087 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460c firmware upgrade failed

Rob Houghton
Occasional Advisor

BL460c firmware upgrade failed

Hi,

I've tried to upgrade the firmware on a BL460c via the ilo and I seem to have hit a problem that is issued in the following advisory. c01850906. Is there a way to re-flash the ilo from the serial console? I've tried to use update ilo bayN ftp://ip/ilo-image.bin but it just says Bay 12: Request is valid only for ProLiant SERVER blades. The blade will no longer power on, I've tried setting the jumpers to 1,5 & 6 but it doesn't seem to work. Should I just log it with hp support?

Thanks

Rob.
10 REPLIES 10
Benoy Daniel
Trusted Contributor

Please call HP Response centre may be onsite visit of Support Engineer is required.
BillyClark
Advisor

Hi Rob,

I have an identical problem with a BL480c blade.

Did you manage to get a soultion?

Thanks

Billy
zhanggr
Honored Contributor

ROMPaq recovery

The Disaster Recovery feature supports systems that do not support the Redundant ROM feature. Disaster Recovery only applies to platforms with nonredundant system ROM. If both the up-to-date and backup versions of the ROM are corrupt, then perform ROMPaq Disaster Recovery procedures:

1. On another server, download and save the ROMPaq image to the hard drive from the HP website
2. Execute the ROMPaq image to create the ROMPaq disk.
3. Switch to the server with the corrupted ROM.
4. Power down the server.
5. Insert the ROMPaq disk.
6. Power up the server.
The server generates one long beep and two short beeps to indicate that it is in disaster recovery mode. If the disk is not in the correct drive, then the system continues to beep until a valid ROMPaq disk is inserted.
The ROMPaq disk flashes both system ROM images. If successful, a sequence of ascending audible beeps is generated. If unsuccessful, a sequence of descending audible beeps is generated, and you must repeat the disaster recovery process.
7. Power down the server.
8. Remove the ROMPaq disk.
9. Power up the server.

To manually set the server for ROMPaq disaster recovery:

1. Power down the server.
2. Remove the access panel.
3. Set the system maintenance switch positions for disaster recovery. Switch positions are serverspecific;
see the server documentation for information about the correct settings for your server.
4. Insert a ROMPaq diskette with the latest system ROM from the Firmware Maintenance CD or the HP website.
5. Install the access panel.
6. Power up the server.
7. Allow the system to boot completely.
8. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
9. Reset the system maintenance switch positions to their original settings.
10. Repeat steps 5 and 6.
Half soft Half hard
BillyClark
Advisor

Hi zhanggr

Thanks for help...

Problem is that the blade enclosure (c7000) does not recognise the blade as a proliant server and will not allow it to power-up.

This is the same from all the interfaces (CLI, OA etc) and the power button on the front of the server does nothing.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Thansk

Billy

Rob Houghton
Occasional Advisor

Hi Bill, I've just logged a call with hp. Got an email about 5 hours ago, saying someone will be dealing with it. I suspect a replacement will arrive. You should be able to log it with hp.

Rob
BillyClark
Advisor

Hi Rob,

I've also now logged a call.

I'll give you a race to see who gets an engineer first.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Billy
BillyClark
Advisor

Rob,

I now have an operating blade again - required a complete system board replacement.

Hope you get on as well.

Good luck.

Billy
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hi folks you could try this

clear nv ram

blade clear nvranm
Clearing the system configuration
To clear the system configuration:
1. Power down the server blade
2. Remove the server blade
3. Remove the access panellook at the diagram on it it will show the position of the maintenace switch( it clears Nv ram)
4. Change position 6 of the system maintenance switch to on.
5. Install the access panel
6. Install the server blade in the enclosure and power up the server blade.
7. Wait for the POST message that prompts you to change the switch setting:
Maintenance switch detected in the "On" position.
Power off the server and turn switch to the "Off" position.
8. Repeat steps 1 through 3.
9. Change position 6 of the system maintenance switch to off.
10. Repeat steps 5 through 7.

enjoy :)

This is how we thank each other in the forum
its for all who contribute in assisting

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)
MC1903
Regular Advisor

About a year ago I was at a HP event and I asked a ProLiant Engineering/Development guy about them implementing an OA CLI command/override option to allow an 'unrecognised' BL c-Class server (i.e. one with stuffed iLo firmware) to be powered on so that a recovery attempt can be made... Still waiting...

I assume that development time is way more expensive than the cost of swapping out hardware...