1748089 Members
5157 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460c powering off

David Heiert
Advisor

I would love to but bringing the whole chassis down to do it is like pulling teeth. Bringing it down for this kind of operation is not likely to happen soon.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You can update the OA online.
Same for iLO firmware.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

David,

did you checked if your blade falls into this known issue ?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02063665&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

The OA log example given seems a perfect match with yours.

HTH

Kris
David Heiert
Advisor

That's it exactly. Except that my ILO version is 1.79.
How can I check the system board rev? Reboot I assume.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Maybe from SMH or server diagnostics? Not sure.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

David,

first of all, your iLO F/W will need to be upgraded to V1.81 to rule out any other issue (as the checklist indicates in the advisory :
OA 2.60 or later
ILO 1.81 or later
PMC 0.5 or 3.4 (D) or later
BIOS 2009.07.10 or later.

To check the PMC version, open a telnet connection to the OA and run the OA CLI commmand :

'show server info X' (X = blade bay number)

That lists the PMC version at the end, the OA GUI does not show it.

The sysboard rev. is only visible on the smallest of the 3 white stickers (bottom right corner) which are on top of the power connectors (so the blade needs to be physically removed).

If you have a revision < = V. A03 then you should place a service call with HP support.
I am not aware of another method to get the rev.

HTH

Kris
David Mumper

Just a minor addendum for Kris's comment.

If you've updated your firmware as mentioned above, the PMC version is displayed in the "Rack Firmware" page of the OA. I don't remember if it changed as far back as 2.52, but definitely both OA firmware 2.60 and 3.00 include the PMC firmware information from blades with at least iLO firmware 1.77. (The display from OA version 3.00 is more cluttered, but that's just my opinion. :-))

I am currently also experiencing this problem with a series of BL465 G1's. I'm still researching what I can do about it, but at the very least it would be nice if we could get any further diagnostic information on why the OA is reporting that the blade is being powered off. What component is initiating the power off requeset? Why is nothing logging a reason the power off request was initiated? Or are they simply logged someplace we haven't looked yet?
David Heiert
Advisor

I have not done anything at this point. I have to arrange some kind of window to deal with it since it is a production box.
I do have another G1 blade that I may try to put in it's place.

As for updating firmware, etc. I am not sure what the point is. HP already says when you reach this level and have this problem, the system board is bad. Nothing in the article leads me to believe that if I come up to that rev (which I am not) that the issue will be resolved.