1748168 Members
4055 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460c's hanging up

Ian McGann
Advisor

BL460c's hanging up

I have had 3 BL406's hang up on reboot in the past 2 days. They're stuck at a blank grey screen and doing a reset or cold boot from iLO does no good.

In two instances, I came in the next morning and powered the servers on from iLO and they booted no problem. On the third server, it was during the day and reseating the server in the enclosure did the trick.

Two of the servers are just a few months old, one is about a year and a half old. We're running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise with SP2. All servers have iLO 1.50. The OA's are all 2.20. Oh, and all 3 servers are in different enclosures...

Has anybody seen this behavior before? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian
36 REPLIES 36
Ian McGann
Advisor

Forgot to mention that there is no indications of any hardware problems/failures in the sys mgmt homepage, IML log, iLO log, or even in the Windows log.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Remove the blades and take a look at the connectors that link the blade to the enclosure's midplane. We experienced a similar problem and found it to be a damaged pin.

Good luck!
Ian McGann
Advisor

Thanks, I'll check it out! One thing, though: Did you see this happening consistently? I've since rebooted the servers and they booted fine..
Ian McGann
Advisor

WFHC-WI,
The back of the servers just have plugs, the only pins would be at the back of the enclosure. I shined a flashlight back there, but didn't see any obvious problems. Just for clarification, you're saying the pins on the midplane were bent?

I've attached a picture of the back of the server...
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Pins on the back of the blade looks fine to me. Normally if you have a damaged Mid plane when you insert the server it will also get damaged.

You mentioned you saw it once right. You are struck @ Blank Gray screen, I assume the Server was able to power on. Did you check the server Physically was the Front LED's were Green??

You can Update your OA: (I don't think it is related to The problem, But some times it does Solve the Existing Problems)
Download the Latest 2.25 OA from below link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=e
n&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3188465&swItem=MTX-b75c040de0a8
42dcae2c96efb5&prodNameId=3188475&swEnvOID=2065&swLang=8&taskId=135&
amp;mode=3

I assume you have the latest ROM on the Blades:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3288156&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1842750&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2023#12212

Try updating the OA and ROM. Keep us posted.
Ian McGann
Advisor

The ROM's on the servers were all updated yesterday (after the problem). But, the servers did boot cleanly once BEFORE updating the ROM, so.... ? I've run into one-time issues like this before, and am usually able to prove them as just a one-off, but one of these servers is a new DC and another a node in a major file cluster, so understandably, I'm a little nervous.

I'll update the OA's and go from there.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Usually if these standard tricks does not make the servers work again, I call to HP and ask them to change mainboard.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Ian McGann
Advisor

Thanks to all that have replied, but I still haven't found a solution. I had a fourth server have this problem last night and I had to call and have someone in the data center pull it out and reseat it in the enclosure.

All of my OA's have been upgraded to FW 2.25. I've talked to the local CE's and they'll be researching this and coming on site later in the day..

Any other thoughts?
Sean Brandon

Did you find a solution to this? We have the exact same issue. Thanks.