1753797 Members
7160 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460c's hanging up

Simon Grant IRL
Occasional Advisor

Overnight I upgraded the OA to v2.41 and the ILO to v1.7 on all blades, including the problem one.

Unless I am missing something I cannot upgrade the System BIOS on the blade that fails to boot, in its current state.

Let me know how the testing goes. Thanks.
Batesydw

I'm getting the same problem on a number of blades. We have 8x c-7000 and had the problem with 4 different firmware versions we have run and I'm just about to go OA 2.41, VC 2.01, blade bl460c1,5 11/nov/08 and ilo 1.70.

None of the firmware upgrades I've used to date have ever worked. It is still happening and random. Lets hope the latest works.

Problem being the Powers on and blank ilo etc. call logged to HP.
rvilat

An update to our testing:

We rebooted 8 blades in 1 chassis every hour for 5 days. All of them worked ok with the latest firmware. So it looks promising that the issue may have been fixed.

However, this does not preclude it being caused by rebooting after the systems have been up a long time.

Has anyone else had the issue after upgrading to latest firmware?
tomcy

Having the same problems here across multiple C7000 enclosures. Server gets rebooted and it does not come back. Stuck on a blank grey screen when you connect via the ilo. It appears to respond the virtual power commands but it never gets past the grey screen.

These are BL460C's running ilo 1.70 and also 1.60. OA's are running 2.25 and 2.41. Have seen this on 4 BL460C's in the past 7 days. Resetting the e-fuse from the OA does not fix the problem.

Case open with support but HP has not provided any solution so far.

rvilat

What BIOS version are you running?
tomcy

The BIOS versions are 04/01/08, 08/04/08 and 09/29/08. I should also mention that we have had this problem across 3 enclosures in 2 different physical sites.
kfward

I am running into the same problem. 2 c7000 chassis populated with BL460c-G1 blades. I just level set the latest BIOS and iLO firmware and I'm still getting the same problem across both chassis. Sometimes they reboot and other times they don't. What gives? I'm going to log a call with HP and see what they say.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Just out of curiosity, how is the power connected up on these blade enclosures?

I have a problem with a couple of enclosures that is similar to the problems your describing in this thread, except that the Health LED is flashing RED when it happens. The enclosures are connected to APC Managed power strips and I'm wondering if this could be causing a problem.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

http://alerts.hp.com/r?2.1.3KT.2ZR.%5fKSjA.D7gIwE..N.H8f0.1qcU.bW89MQ%5f%5fCVfWFNX0

HP ProLiant iLO 2 Management Controller Driver Version 1.9.0.0 released in ProLiant Support Pack (PSP) Version 8.20 may prevent Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or Microsoft Windows Server 2008 from completing a shutdown or restart request. The shutdown or restart requests may halt at the final stages of shutdown even though other system components (such as the mouse) are still responsive.

Says to upgrade to 1.11 driver to fix problem. I however have had trouble with blue screens and ASRs on anything 1.9 or higher. I'm using 1.8 on all my blades with very few issues.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

The blades we are having a problem with are tunning Linux. The PSP for Linux was updated and there is still an issue with it.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.