BladeSystem - General
1753969 Members
7312 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

BL465C G1's Won't boot but OA says they are OK

con84t

BL465C G1's Won't boot but OA says they are OK

Hi, I recently purchased a second hand C7000 enclosure with 16 BL465c G1 blades in it each with 16 gb of memory and 2 2356 Opteron processors. I could only get 2 of the 16 blades to boot. I have upgraded to OA to latest version as well as the ILO2's on all blades.

The OA is saying that everything is OK with blades that won't boot, but when you power them on they just do nothing - no HP Invents splash screen, no BIOS check, nothing. The lights all go green on the front they just won't boot.

The only difference I can spot between the 14 blades that won't boot and the 2 that will is the the date on the A13 System Rom. The booting blades have a 2009 dated system ROM where as the non-boot ones have one from 2007.

The version of the OA that I have is not the one that allows update of the system ROM from it. Is there any way I can update the system rom for these machines when I can't get an OS to boot? I have tried moving the blades around in the enclosure and that makes no difference.

I have googled everything I can think of but have had no luck. Some help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart

2 REPLIES 2
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Re: BL465C G1's Won't boot but OA says they are OK

Can you check the OA logs for any messages?  How about the iLO and IML logs from the server blades?

Do you have 6 power supplies in the enclosure?  If you remove, say, all but one server from the enclosure does this change its boot behavior?

Given all that, perhaps take one of the blades out and check the CPU, memory and any mezz boards for proper seating.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: BL465C G1's Won't boot but OA says they are OK

Hello,

is it any difference if you but one blade to you "original" one?

Have you tried to downgrade OA - maybe there is a "border" version of OA preventing older blades to boot.

for example here is mention about OA 2.51 - it requires bios update first, than OA update.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=3540808&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01894381-2%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken 

what version of OA you have / had?

Jan