1748232 Members
3900 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL465c G1 dead after Smart Update Firmware DVD 9.0 update

SebastianT
Advisor

BL465c G1 dead after Smart Update Firmware DVD 9.0 update

Wonder if anyone else has encountered a BL/DL server to go down for god after the Smart Update Firmware DVD 9.0 update?
I had two BL465c G1's - both updated great. Rebooted and one of them is unreachable through ILO, through OA.
The C7000 enclosure has it marked as a "red" blade in the bay.
Tried to connect directly a monitor, keyboard and mouse, but it will not power on.
The OA firmware level is 2.51 across 6 enclosures. The one blade the firmware update worked it is up and happy so far after being moved to a second C7000 enclosure, just to test if there was a issue with the first C7000 enclosure.
4 REPLIES 4
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
just to make sure:
- your "bad" server works in other chasis?

some hints:
- Try to but your server into different position it the same chasis
- update OA to latest 3.1
- remove and reseed OA

Jan
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Do you know what versions of System ROM, iLO and Power Management Controller firmware were on these affected blades before they were updated? There are numerous causes of the red blades and understanding where you started may help troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks,
Michael
SebastianT
Advisor

I have moved the failed blade post firmware update to a different chassis and it has not made a difference.

I have started from ROM A13 11/06/2008, ILO 1.78 Jun 10 2009 and Power Mgmt controller 0.5. As far as I know the early generation blades will not update the Power Mgmt controller from the Firmware CD, that portion of firmware needs to be done separate.
The OA is still on 2.51. so far 2.51 version has been pretty stable for us across the 6 enclosures compared with the earlier version of OA firmware.

I have ended up replacing the system board and ran the firmware update on the new system, everything is good again.

Thanks,
Seb
SebastianT
Advisor

Replaced the system board.